Associating File Extensions with an Application

When installing an application usint InstallShield Express for Delphi 3.0,
what
registry entries need to be made to associate your application with a file
extension.

For example, if I have an application called    MYAPP.EXE and want it to
start when the user clicks on a filename such as MYDOC.ABC,  what registry
entry should be made to
associate the .ABC file extension with MYAPP.EXE?

Thanks in advance

Dave Irizarry

Re:Associating File Extensions with an Application

kinda funny I was playing with that tonight...anyways...from what I see when
Windows 95 associates a file with a program it makes two registry entries...

Using *.abc as an example

1)  HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
       it creates a key called .abc and sets the default value to
abc_auto_file
2)  HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
      it then creates another key called abc_auto_file and puts the path to
the program under the default for this key.

now...having said that, it seems easy to do yourself...anyone know of a better
way or a problem with doing it that way?

Shane Bridges
kinet...@ix.netcom.com

David C. Irizarry wrote:
> When installing an application usint InstallShield Express for Delphi 3.0,
> what
> registry entries need to be made to associate your application with a file
> extension.

> For example, if I have an application called    MYAPP.EXE and want it to
> start when the user clicks on a filename such as MYDOC.ABC,  what registry
> entry should be made to
> associate the .ABC file extension with MYAPP.EXE?

> Thanks in advance

> Dave Irizarry

Other Threads