Apologies for my servers screwup

As you can see from the times, my server went on a rampage. Sorry for
the clutter regarding three copies of SHR and SHL.

Clif

Re:Apologies for my servers screwup

In article <50npn6$...@library.airnews.net>,

CLIF PENN <clifp...@airmail.net> wrote:

:As you can see from the times, my server went on a rampage. Sorry for
:the clutter regarding three copies of SHR and SHL.

Don't worry about it. But this FAQ information might be of some
general interest in these kind of problems

-From: ftp://garbo.uwasa.fi/pc/ts/tsfaqn45.zip Frequently Asked Questions
-Subject: Canceling postings

23. *****
 Q: I am having problem with canceling my posting. What to do?

 A: How one cancels one's own posting is naturally dependent on the
newsreader program that one uses. In rn you can cancel your posting
by pressing C (that is shift-c) when reading your own posting. In
other newsreaders check their help function for the cancel command.
For example in tin the cancel command is D.
   Confusingly, it may happen that you are unable to cancel your own
posting but get a "You can't cancel someone else's posting" message
instead. That implies that the newssystem at your side has been
configured badly. The sender and your own id do not match. There is
nothing you can do about that yourself. It is up to your local
newsmanager to set the system right. Contact him/her in case of this
problem.

-Subject: What to do about a mislaid posting

16. *****
 Q: I just posted to a wrong newsgroup. Should I explain it in a
follow-up posting?

 A: Not necessarily. Much better to cancel your posting. At least if
you are using rn for reading news, you can cancel your posting as
follows. Go to your posting, start reading it, then apply the
command C on it. In the tin newsreader the cancel command is D. If
you don't want to lose what you wrote, first save your message to a
file with the s option if you are using rn. See the newsreader's
help (h in rn) for more details on the commands. This is much
preferable to following up with an explanation.
   It is a good thing that you care where you post. It is
frustrating to see postings that have nothing to do with the
contents of the newsgroup. Some users are way too careless in this
respect. (I must plead occasionally guilty myself). Posting to a
wrong newsgroup is not even rational, because the chances of getting
a useful response are diminished. Nevertheless, a follow-up
explanatory posting may just double the mistake and draw unnecessary
attention (if you cannot cancel what you posted).

   All the best, Timo

t...@uwasa.fi http://uwasa.fi/~ts BBS 961-3170972; FIN-65101,  Finland

Other Threads