Board index » delphi » OpenGL books opinions...

OpenGL books opinions...

The connection to Delphi is best covered  by Jon's book - get that.
As second, I recommend the superbible -get that too - it shows the
further possibilities of OpenGL. And you should be able to use those
API calls.

And third I recommend to use GLScene, it has more and further advanced
components as jon's book.

Rene
--
Ing.Buero R.Tschaggelar - http://www.ibrtses.com

Quote
Paul Nicholls wrote:

> I am thinking of buying an OpenGL book (ouch they're pricy!!) and was
> wondering what people recommended out of the list below.  I realise that the
> Delphi one means I can use code straight away, but perhaps some of the other
> ones also have excellent info on using OpenGL in general as well...

 

Re:OpenGL books opinions...


Incidentally, I ordered it from Amazon.com (US site), it worked out 15
cheaper than in a UK shop, and 10 cheaper than Amazon.co.uk. (even with 2
week international delivery)  So it might be worth looking there!

Chris

Quote
"Paul Nicholls" <paul_f_nicho...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

news:3bb947ba_1@dnews...
Quote
> I am thinking of buying an OpenGL book (ouch they're pricy!!) and was
> wondering what people recommended out of the list below.  I realise that
the
> Delphi one means I can use code straight away, but perhaps some of the
other
> ones also have excellent info on using OpenGL in general as well...

> ------------------------------------------
> OpenGL Programming Guide
> Third Edition
> The Official guide to Learning OpenGL, Version 1.2

> By
> OpenGL Architecture Review Board:
> Mason Woo
> Jackie Neider
> Tom Davis
> David Shreiner

> ------------------------------------------
> Delphi Developer's Guide to OpenGL
> by Jon Q. Jacobs

> ------------------------------------------
> OpenGL SuperBible
> Second Edition,

> By
> Richard S.Wright, Jr
> Michael Sweet.
> (Wait Group Press)
> ------------------------------------------

> Thanks in advance,
> Paul Nicholls (Delphi 5)     Live long and optimise!
> "Life is a beach - every so often you are swept out to sea by a rip and
get
> into trouble!"  - Paul Nicholls

>  Home Page: www.southcom.com.au/~phantom
>        < IF YOU WANT TO EARN MONEY WHILE YOU SURF ON THE NET GO HERE: >
>        < http://www.alladvantage.com/go.asp?refid=BEM-274 >

Re:OpenGL books opinions...


Can't comment on the other books, but after lots of research I bought:-

Delphi Developer's Guide to OpenGL
by Jon Q. Jacobs

And it seem very good, (only 5 chapters in)

Chris Millward

Quote
"Paul Nicholls" <paul_f_nicho...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

news:3bb947ba_1@dnews...
Quote
> I am thinking of buying an OpenGL book (ouch they're pricy!!) and was
> wondering what people recommended out of the list below.  I realise that
the
> Delphi one means I can use code straight away, but perhaps some of the
other
> ones also have excellent info on using OpenGL in general as well...

> ------------------------------------------
> OpenGL Programming Guide
> Third Edition
> The Official guide to Learning OpenGL, Version 1.2

> By
> OpenGL Architecture Review Board:
> Mason Woo
> Jackie Neider
> Tom Davis
> David Shreiner

> ------------------------------------------
> Delphi Developer's Guide to OpenGL
> by Jon Q. Jacobs

> ------------------------------------------
> OpenGL SuperBible
> Second Edition,

> By
> Richard S.Wright, Jr
> Michael Sweet.
> (Wait Group Press)
> ------------------------------------------

> Thanks in advance,
> Paul Nicholls (Delphi 5)     Live long and optimise!
> "Life is a beach - every so often you are swept out to sea by a rip and
get
> into trouble!"  - Paul Nicholls

>  Home Page: www.southcom.com.au/~phantom
>        < IF YOU WANT TO EARN MONEY WHILE YOU SURF ON THE NET GO HERE: >
>        < http://www.alladvantage.com/go.asp?refid=BEM-274 >

Re:OpenGL books opinions...


I recommand Delphi Developer's Guide to OpenGL by Jon Q. Jacobs

Pierre

Re:OpenGL books opinions...


hi,

take a look at http://nehe.gamedev.net
it has 36 opengl *lessons* (the first 10 lessons are in nearly each coding
language ;) )

hope it helps, philipp

Re:OpenGL books opinions...


Thanks for all the help people :)

--
Paul Nicholls (Delphi 5)     Live long and optimise!
"Life is a beach - every so often you are swept out to sea by a rip and get
into trouble!"  - Paul Nicholls

 Home Page: www.southcom.com.au/~phantom
       < IF YOU WANT TO EARN MONEY WHILE YOU SURF ON THE NET GO HERE: >
       < http://www.alladvantage.com/go.asp?refid=BEM-274 >

Re:OpenGL books opinions...


The best general OpenGL reference is the OpenGL Super Bible with good detail
descriptions of the workings.  The first version actually had a  Delphi
class example.

Because OpenGL is an API with all the header calls defined in OpenGL12.pas,
or the like, then a pure OpenGL example in C++ will copy almost without
change into pascal.   For a good understanding of OpenGL you do not need a
Delphi based book.

If you need Delphi class wrappers etc the GLScene or 3DShapes
(www.datavis.com.au) is the place to start.

John

Quote
"Paul Nicholls" <paul_f_nicho...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

news:3bb947ba_1@dnews...
Quote
> I am thinking of buying an OpenGL book (ouch they're pricy!!) and was
> wondering what people recommended out of the list below.  I realise that
the
> Delphi one means I can use code straight away, but perhaps some of the
other
> ones also have excellent info on using OpenGL in general as well...

> ------------------------------------------
> OpenGL Programming Guide
> Third Edition
> The Official guide to Learning OpenGL, Version 1.2

> By
> OpenGL Architecture Review Board:
> Mason Woo
> Jackie Neider
> Tom Davis
> David Shreiner

> ------------------------------------------
> Delphi Developer's Guide to OpenGL
> by Jon Q. Jacobs

> ------------------------------------------
> OpenGL SuperBible
> Second Edition,

> By
> Richard S.Wright, Jr
> Michael Sweet.
> (Wait Group Press)
> ------------------------------------------

> Thanks in advance,
> Paul Nicholls (Delphi 5)     Live long and optimise!
> "Life is a beach - every so often you are swept out to sea by a rip and
get
> into trouble!"  - Paul Nicholls

>  Home Page: www.southcom.com.au/~phantom
>        < IF YOU WANT TO EARN MONEY WHILE YOU SURF ON THE NET GO HERE: >
>        < http://www.alladvantage.com/go.asp?refid=BEM-274 >

Re:OpenGL books opinions...


Quote
> The best general OpenGL reference is the OpenGL Super Bible with good
detail
> descriptions of the workings.  The first version actually had a  Delphi
> class example.

> Because OpenGL is an API with all the header calls defined in
OpenGL12.pas,
> or the like, then a pure OpenGL example in C++ will copy almost without
> change into pascal.   For a good understanding of OpenGL you do not need a
> Delphi based book.

> If you need Delphi class wrappers etc the GLScene or 3DShapes
> (www.datavis.com.au) is the place to start.

Thanks John, that makes sense :-)
Sounds like I should go for that book.
BTW I have a couple of other Waite Press books and they are also excellent
:)

--
Paul Nicholls (Delphi 5)     Live long and optimise!
"Life is a beach - every so often you are swept out to sea by a rip and get
into trouble!"  - Paul Nicholls

 Home Page: www.southcom.com.au/~phantom
       < IF YOU WANT TO EARN MONEY WHILE YOU SURF ON THE NET GO HERE: >
       < http://www.alladvantage.com/go.asp?refid=BEM-274 >

Other Threads