Stored procedures returning Result Sets

I realize that Interbase has a feature that can return a result set of one
or more rows via stored procedure. Correct me if I'm wrong; one could take
this result set and set it to a TDataset descendent for read-only purpose.

Can anyone tell me out of experience, which back-end database they've used
may be incompatible with this feature?

For example: Is there any back-end database such as Oracle, SQL server which
does support the robustness of result sets from a Stored Procedure.

Tia,

Dave Bhatia

Re:Stored procedures returning Result Sets

Dave,
   MSSQL returns results set for displaying on grids and the like.

Regards,
Jason.

No spam, unless requested. Thanks.

Re:Stored procedures returning Result Sets

Oracle can return a result set from an SP in a cursor, the equivalent of
a query against a table.

John Pierce

Re:Stored procedures returning Result Sets

Oracle SP does not return result set.  You have to use a ref cursor.

Ping

Jason FitzHarris <jasf...@indigo.ie> wrote in message

> Dave,
>    MSSQL returns results set for displaying on grids and the like.

> Regards,
> Jason.

> No spam, unless requested. Thanks.

Re:Stored procedures returning Result Sets

This is standard feature. Most (if not all) of servers support this or
better - I didn't hear of any that does not support this. Naturally, each
server has its own syntax and some support additional features (like
multiple result sets), but client can handle them all in the same way.
What do you mean with "robustness of result sets from a Stored Procedure"?
That all other result sets are weak?
--
----------------------
Regards

Ping Kam wrote:
> Oracle SP does not return result set.  You have to use a ref cursor.

> Ping

Actually, the SP returns the result set *in* a ref cursor.

John Pierce

Re:Stored procedures returning Result Sets

The way Interbase SP and Oracle SP returning the result set is very
different.  With Oracle, a SP is not capable of returning a result set.  One
must open a ref cursor and pass it through an out parameter.  But interbase
SP is capable of returning a result set, you do not have to use a parameter.

Ping

John Pierce <jpie...@healthplanning.com> wrote in message

> Ping Kam wrote:

> > Oracle SP does not return result set.  You have to use a ref cursor.

> > Ping

> Actually, the SP returns the result set *in* a ref cursor.

> John Pierce

Other Threads