Start InterBase automatically as an icon - how ?

In the help file, I can read :

"You can configure InterBase Server services and change startup options by
using the InterBase Configuration utility, right click on the server icon
and choose startup...
Choose how InterBase starts. The options are:
Start InterBase automatically as a service. This is the recommended option.
If you choose it, InterBase starts automatically when you start Windows NT.
Start InterBase manually as a Service. InterBase must be started using the
Services Control Panel or from the InterBase Configuration utility.
Start InterBase automatically as an icon. The enabled server appears as an
icon on the desktop each time you log on to Windows NT.
Start InterBase manually as an icon. The server must be started by clicking
on it from the program group where it has been installed. The enabled server
then appears as an icon on the desktop."

How can I start Intervase as an icon in windows 2000 ?
-marc-

Re:Start InterBase automatically as an icon - how ?

> How can I start Intervase as an icon in windows 2000 ?

What do you mean by "start it as an icon"?

If you are running under WinNT or Win2000, you should run InterBase as
an NT Service.

David R.

Re:Start InterBase automatically as an icon - how ?

Yes but I think I should have an icon in the Systray, no ?
-m-

"David R. Robinson" <ibinst...@mail.com> a crit dans le message news:
3b97c140_1@dnews...

> > How can I start Intervase as an icon in windows 2000 ?

> What do you mean by "start it as an icon"?

> If you are running under WinNT or Win2000, you should run InterBase as
> an NT Service.

> David R.

Re:Start InterBase automatically as an icon - how ?

No. This only happens in Win 9x

--
Martijn Tonies
InterBase Workbench - the developer tool for InterBase and Firebird

Upscene Productions
http://www.upscene.com

"This is an object-oriented system.
If we change anything, the users object."

"Marc Valentin" <mvalent@abeditions_nospam_.com> wrote in message

> Yes but I think I should have an icon in the Systray, no ?
> -m-

> "David R. Robinson" <ibinst...@mail.com> a crit dans le message news:
> 3b97c140_1@dnews...
> > > How can I start Intervase as an icon in windows 2000 ?

> > What do you mean by "start it as an icon"?

> > If you are running under WinNT or Win2000, you should run InterBase as
> > an NT Service.

> > David R.

Re:Start InterBase automatically as an icon - how ?

Hello, Marc!

Marc Valentin wrote:

> Yes but I think I should have an icon in the Systray, no ?
> -m-

Simply run ibserver.exe or ibguard.exe with -a cmd line option.
If you don't want an icon to be shown, use additional option -n.

>ibserver -a<ENTER>

or

--
Dmitry Kuzmenko, Epsylon Technologies.
http://www.webinterbase.com/

Re:Start InterBase automatically as an icon - how ?

Thanks Dmitry !
I had to change this setting directly in the registry and then, when
restarting the service, I got the icon in the SysTray.
However, a strange thing happens : the service stops automatically after a
(very) short period of time (1 or 2 minutes).
Any idea ?
-marc-

"Dmitry Kuzmenko" <d...@demo.ru> a ecrit dans le message news:
3B99EB18.F4C34...@demo.ru...

> Hello, Marc!

> Marc Valentin wrote:

> > Yes but I think I should have an icon in the Systray, no ?
> > -m-

> Simply run ibserver.exe or ibguard.exe with -a cmd line option.
> If you don't want an icon to be shown, use additional option -n.

> >ibserver -a<ENTER>

> or

> >ibserver -a -n<ENTER>

> --
> Dmitry Kuzmenko, Epsylon Technologies.
> http://www.webinterbase.com/

Re:Start InterBase automatically as an icon - how ?

Sorry but this is not the solution.
-a : means that IB runs as an application on your desktop, rather than a
service.

Marc Valentin wrote:

> Thanks Dmitry !
> I had to change this setting directly in the registry and then, when
> restarting the service, I got the icon in the SysTray.
> However, a strange thing happens : the service stops automatically after a
> (very) short period of time (1 or 2 minutes).
> Any idea ?

Whoops! I thought that you will just add new shortcut to StartUp folder
in Windows.
But if you wish to see tray icon when IB running as service - I think
it's impossible.

Maybe you need to run ibserver.exe -a with some tool that allows to
run applications as service, but not as service directly.
I don't remember this tool name, it was
provided by Microsoft in Windows NT Resource Kit.

p.s. excuse me, I'm not Windows guru :-)

--
Dmitry Kuzmenko, Epsylon Technologies.
http://www.webinterbase.com/

Other Threads