Deploying a Delphi 1.0 application on a network

A newbie question ....

I have developed a short user opinion survey application using Delphi
1.0 and want to put it on our network (for use by Win 3.1 and Win 95
machines).  I want the users to be able to run the application directly
from the network without installing personal copies on their hard
drives.

The answers will flow back to a single DBF on the network.  I installed
the application, DBF, BDE 1.0, and supporting text files to a network
drive/subdirectory.

From my machine (where the application was developed) I can access and
use the application just fine.

Anyone else trying to use the application invokes a database error
concerning the lack of a proper alias -->  "EDatabase Error --
attempting to initialize the Borland Database Engine (error $2108)"

These would be users attempting to run the application on the network.
These users would not typically have the BDE/IDAPI installed on their
machines.

I tried hardcoding the network subdirectory into the table in the
Inspector, but this had no effect in stopping the error.

Question 1.  Do I have to install the BDE on *every* user's machine, or
can the users share the BDE successfully installed on the LAN?

Question 2.  If the answer to 1. above is "now," and if the error is due
to lack of a proper alias "in scope" at the user's level, what can I do
to make the local machines "find" the BDE and files on the network?

I would appreciate any help in solving this.  To make everyone install
the BDE locally to answer a questionnaire would be a killer.

Re:Deploying a Delphi 1.0 application on a network

Lou,

The error you are getting is Cannot locate Idapi32.dll. Borland does not
recommend nor support the type of installation you are trying to do (we
recommend installing the BDE on every client). However, if you would like to
try and do it yourself, I recommend referring to:
http://www.borland.com/devsupport/bde/delphifiles.html, BDE network
installation example with source.

--
Brian
Delphi Developer Support

Re:Deploying a Delphi 1.0 application on a network

Thanks ... I downloaded the file and will see what it can do for this
project.

BTW, this is a WIN31 application ... would the error still be
'..IDAPI32.DLL '  ??

> Lou,

> The error you are getting is Cannot locate Idapi32.dll. Borland does not
> recommend nor support the type of installation you are trying to do (we
> recommend installing the BDE on every client). However, if you would like to
> try and do it yourself, I recommend referring to:
> http://www.borland.com/devsupport/bde/delphifiles.html, BDE network
> installation example with source.

> --
> Brian
> Delphi Developer Support
> www.borland.com

Re:Deploying a Delphi 1.0 application on a network

Lou,

The file would be IDAPI.DLL for 16-bit BDE.

--
Brian
Delphi Developer Support

Other Threads