Accessing MS Access database with Delphi applications

I'm trying to write an application in Borland Delphi 2.0 that will
utilizie a database created using Microsoft Access for Win95.  If
anyone knows how, please let me know.

Re:Accessing MS Access database with Delphi applications

There is a product called Direct Access from Opus that will do it.

http://193.247.162.194/ODA/

It integrates into the BDE and works just like the TABLE component.

Otherwise you can try ODBC but that is slooooow

P.S. I was told today that Delphi 3.0 has (will have) a built in MSACCESS
Driver.

  Anybody know anything about this?

The Jackal <Jac...@Jackal.Den> wrote in article
<3309c56...@news.eatel.net>...

Alan Buckle - APB Computing bv wrote:

> There is a product called Direct Access from Opus that will do it.

> http://193.247.162.194/ODA/

> It integrates into the BDE and works just like the TABLE component.

> Otherwise you can try ODBC but that is slooooow

> P.S. I was told today that Delphi 3.0 has (will have) a built in MSACCESS
> Driver.

>   Anybody know anything about this?

> The Jackal <Jac...@Jackal.Den> wrote in article
> <3309c56...@news.eatel.net>...
> > I'm trying to write an application in Borland Delphi 2.0 that will
> > utilizie a database created using Microsoft Access for Win95.  If
> > anyone knows how, please let me know.

If you use MS Access through ODBC, then performance is not too bad, as
long as you use SQL to query for the absolute minimum number of records
that you need.  This assumes that you have the tables indexed properly.
When using queries, Access likes single field indexes, so create single
field indexes on each of the fields in your search(es) for optimal query
performance.  Don't even bother with the TTable component with any ODBC
data source, as the BDE will copy the contents of the table through ODBC
to a local temp table (dBase format), and then you are essentially
working with a local unindexed dBase table, including all of its
limitations.  In that case, every operation Delphi does resolves to a
table scan....

Other Threads