Reporting in three tier environment..

Hi,

|     We are a company that has been into developing business and
| e-commerce solutions.  We have been doing conventional client/server
| development all the while.  Now, we are moving towards three tier
| technology.  We use Delph 5 for business logic components that run on
| the middle tier using microsoft transaction server and ADO.  For the
| client side interfaces we use Delphi 5 and ASP.  The database is MS
SQL
| Server and can also change.  I head the reporting department.  Can
| anybody give some insight into what considerations are to be taken
while

| reporting in a three tier environment.  What role do third party
| reporting tools like crystal reports, quick reports etc. play.  Are
| there any books or technical papers on this subject.  We need all the
| information that we can get.  So all suggestions are welcome.
|
| Thanks in advance.
| Shailesh.

Re:Reporting in three tier environment..

The easiest solution is to use a TClientDataSet in the client app as the
source of data for a Delphi reporting tool such as Report Builder. The only
disadvantage to this is that you have to bring all of the data for the
report to the client which could be a problem for really large datasets.

--
Bill

Bill Todd (TeamB)

Re:Reporting in three tier environment..

> The easiest solution is to use a TClientDataSet in the client app as the
> source of data for a Delphi reporting tool such as Report Builder. The
only
> disadvantage to this is that you have to bring all of the data for the
> report to the client which could be a problem for really large datasets.

What about creating the report on the server and sending it back to the
requesting client via e-mail ??

Re:Reporting in three tier environment..

You could certainly do that in several different ways. For example, Report
Builder allows you to print the report to a file in its own internal format.
you could email the file to the user and give the user an application that
allows him/her to view and print the file. Other reporting tools have
similar capabilities.

--
Bill

Bill Todd (TeamB)

Re:Reporting in three tier environment..

Hi,   and Happy new Year.
I am currently working on  a project with ado (Adonis suite),   using Delphi
5.0 and mixed SQL & Oracle database servers. In  the middle tier the
recordset's fields are being created and setup dynamicaly. My question is
how can I pass to the client side field properties like visible, read only
etc? As far as now this was not the story. Instead of the standard
DataFactory I use custom business objects.
The model is
:- server side
  |-- in-process DLL server wich  contains the recordsets retrieved from the
databases
:- middle tier
  |-- application server that accepts clients requests and exports the
recordsets through custom automation objects
:- client side
  |-- client applications that uses RDSRemoteObject and ADORDatasets.

Any help would be most apreciated,
    Thank's in advance
               Argiris Petromelidis
                  Computer Team