Windows 2000, SQL Server 2000 and ADO Problem?

Hello,

We have an application dev. in Delphi 5 that operates fine in Win. 95-98
using both ADO SQL 7-2000.

However when we try to run the app in Windows 2000 using ADO SQL 2000 on
both the server and the desktop.

We get the following error message "Cannot open database requested login
fails". We think its an ADO problem?

Any ideas?

Re:Windows 2000, SQL Server 2000 and ADO Problem?

What kind of security are you using? (SQL Server authentication or
Integrated NT Security)

--

Alain Quesnel
cinqsanss...@compuserve.com

"Garry" <gar...@inhousepension.com> wrote in message

> Hello,

> We have an application dev. in Delphi 5 that operates fine in Win. 95-98
> using both ADO SQL 7-2000.

> However when we try to run the app in Windows 2000 using ADO SQL 2000 on
> both the server and the desktop.

> We get the following error message "Cannot open database requested login
> fails". We think its an ADO problem?

> Any ideas?

Re:Windows 2000, SQL Server 2000 and ADO Problem?

SQL Server authentication.

"Alain Quesnel" <cinqsanss...@compuserve.com> wrote in message

> What kind of security are you using? (SQL Server authentication or
> Integrated NT Security)

> --

> Alain Quesnel
> cinqsanss...@compuserve.com

> "Garry" <gar...@inhousepension.com> wrote in message

> > Hello,

> > We have an application dev. in Delphi 5 that operates fine in Win. 95-98
> > using both ADO SQL 7-2000.

> > However when we try to run the app in Windows 2000 using ADO SQL 2000 on
> > both the server and the desktop.

> > We get the following error message "Cannot open database requested login
> > fails". We think its an ADO problem?

> > Any ideas?

Re:Windows 2000, SQL Server 2000 and ADO Problem?

Are you using a TADOConnection component? It is difficult to answer with the
little information you gave us. How does your application try to log on? Is
the user prompted to supply username and password?

--

> SQL Server authentication.

> "Alain Quesnel" <cinqsanss...@compuserve.com> wrote in message
> > What kind of security are you using? (SQL Server authentication or
> > Integrated NT Security)

> > --

> > Alain Quesnel
> > cinqsanss...@compuserve.com

> > "Garry" <gar...@inhousepension.com> wrote in message

> > > Hello,

> > > We have an application dev. in Delphi 5 that operates fine in Win.
95-98
> > > using both ADO SQL 7-2000.

> > > However when we try to run the app in Windows 2000 using ADO SQL 2000
on
> > > both the server and the desktop.

> > > We get the following error message "Cannot open database requested
login
> > > fails". We think its an ADO problem?

> > > Any ideas?

Re:Windows 2000, SQL Server 2000 and ADO Problem?

Thanks Alain,

We are using TADOConnection and TADODataSet components.

The following connection string was used for a database named PEN_ASSIST
and server named  PBPFRS01:

  ADOConnect.Connectionstring :=
       'Provider=SQLOLEDB.1;Persist Security Info=False;' +
       'User ID=sa;Initial Catalog=PEN_ASSIST;Data Source=PBPFRS01';

> Are you using a TADOConnection component? It is difficult to answer with
the
> little information you gave us. How does your application try to log on?
Is
> the user prompted to supply username and password?

> --

> Alain Quesnel
> cinqsanss...@compuserve.com

> "Garry" <gar...@inhousepension.com> wrote in message
> > SQL Server authentication.

> > "Alain Quesnel" <cinqsanss...@compuserve.com> wrote in message
> > > What kind of security are you using? (SQL Server authentication or
> > > Integrated NT Security)

> > > --

> > > Alain Quesnel
> > > cinqsanss...@compuserve.com

> > > "Garry" <gar...@inhousepension.com> wrote in message

> 95-98

> on

> login

Re:Windows 2000, SQL Server 2000 and ADO Problem?

I see in your connection string that you are using "sa" as a user. For a
"final" release, I would suggest getting rid of that. Also, your server name
(" DAta Source") and database name ("Initial Catalog") are hard coded into
the connection string. You might want to make those variables, in case you
change the location and/or name of your database at a client location (the
name of the server is likely to change).

Is TADOConnection.LoginPrompt set to False?

--

> Thanks Alain,

> We are using TADOConnection and TADODataSet components.

> The following connection string was used for a database named PEN_ASSIST
> and server named  PBPFRS01:

>   ADOConnect.Connectionstring :=
>        'Provider=SQLOLEDB.1;Persist Security Info=False;' +
>        'User ID=sa;Initial Catalog=PEN_ASSIST;Data Source=PBPFRS01';

> "Alain Quesnel" <cinqsanss...@compuserve.com> wrote in message
> > Are you using a TADOConnection component? It is difficult to answer with
> the
> > little information you gave us. How does your application try to log on?
> Is
> > the user prompted to supply username and password?

> > --

> > Alain Quesnel
> > cinqsanss...@compuserve.com

> > "Garry" <gar...@inhousepension.com> wrote in message