BDE 5.10 shows less data that SQL Server 7 (Newbie needs a clue)

I am trying to access the sample database, Northwind, that comes with
SQL Server 7.

Using Enterprise manager I can see strings in the Product ID
table but with BDE SQL Explorer I see only number - "ID's".

Cannot see
any actual data, just numbers (indexes?).  Cannot access Product table but
can see the (numbers in the) alphabetized product list which is a View in
Enterprise Manager.

Cannot access any field information, just get a BDE 8712 error.

Can anyone give me some hints?  Using Back Office Small Bus. Server with
NT 4.0 SP4 and C++Builder 4.  Have all the Builder updates installed as well
as SP1 for SQL Server 7 but NT only to SP4 (don't think I should have to
install SP5, SP6a, etc. for NT to get this to work ... am I wrong?) Using
ODBC to connect to SQL Server.

How do I get to the string data? Is this what is broken in the ODBC?

TTable (I know it's a no-no) only allows the same "tables" or views that
BDE allows.  Need to know if I can write successful queries with ODBC.

Thanks,
Jon Kettenhofen
National BankCard Services, Inc. (NBSi) www.NBSIPhoneCard.com
nbsi...@rocmail.com

Re:BDE 5.10 shows less data that SQL Server 7 (Newbie needs a clue)

Re:BDE 5.10 shows less data that SQL Server 7 (Newbie needs a clue)

Now that I have TQuery working, I can see that a normal Select * statement will
not pull
over any field that is of type nvarchar.  This seems consistent with what I saw
in
BDE SQL Explorer.  I believe I have all the patches installed for BDE, BCB with
NT SP4.
Types int and datetime are working OK.

Can anyone give me a hint?
Jon

Jon Kettenhofen wrote:

> I am trying to access the sample database, Northwind, that comes with
> SQL Server 7.

> Using Enterprise manager I can see strings in the Product ID
> table but with BDE SQL Explorer I see only number - "ID's".

These are int or datetime.
> Cannot see
> any actual data, just numbers (indexes?).  Cannot access Product table but
> can see the (numbers in the) alphabetized product list which is a View in
> Enterprise Manager.

> Cannot access any field information, just get a BDE 8712 error.

> Can anyone give me some hints?  Using Back Office Small Bus. Server with
> NT 4.0 SP4 and C++Builder 4.  Have all the Builder updates installed as well
> as SP1 for SQL Server 7 but NT only to SP4 (don't think I should have to
> install SP5, SP6a, etc. for NT to get this to work ... am I wrong?) Using
> ODBC to connect to SQL Server.

> How do I get to the string data? Is this what is broken in the ODBC?

> TTable (I know it's a no-no) only allows the same "tables" or views that
> BDE allows.  Need to know if I can write successful queries with ODBC.

> Thanks,
> Jon Kettenhofen
> National BankCard Services, Inc. (NBSi) www.NBSIPhoneCard.com
> nbsi...@rocmail.com

Re:BDE 5.10 shows less data that SQL Server 7 (Newbie needs a clue)

BDE has no support for nvarchar, nchar, etc..You should use ADO.

On Thu, 09 Dec 1999 16:14:47 -0500, Jon Kettenhofen

<nbsi...@rocmail.com> wrote:
>Now that I have TQuery working, I can see that a normal Select * statement will
>not pull
>over any field that is of type nvarchar.  This seems consistent with what I saw
>in
>BDE SQL Explorer.  I believe I have all the patches installed for BDE, BCB with
>NT SP4.
>Types int and datetime are working OK.

>Can anyone give me a hint?
>Jon

>Jon Kettenhofen wrote:

>> I am trying to access the sample database, Northwind, that comes with
>> SQL Server 7.

>> Using Enterprise manager I can see strings in the Product ID
>> table but with BDE SQL Explorer I see only number - "ID's".

>These are int or datetime.
>> Cannot see
>> any actual data, just numbers (indexes?).  Cannot access Product table but
>> can see the (numbers in the) alphabetized product list which is a View in
>> Enterprise Manager.

>> Cannot access any field information, just get a BDE 8712 error.

>> Can anyone give me some hints?  Using Back Office Small Bus. Server with
>> NT 4.0 SP4 and C++Builder 4.  Have all the Builder updates installed as well
>> as SP1 for SQL Server 7 but NT only to SP4 (don't think I should have to
>> install SP5, SP6a, etc. for NT to get this to work ... am I wrong?) Using
>> ODBC to connect to SQL Server.

>> How do I get to the string data? Is this what is broken in the ODBC?

>> TTable (I know it's a no-no) only allows the same "tables" or views that
>> BDE allows.  Need to know if I can write successful queries with ODBC.

>> Thanks,
>> Jon Kettenhofen
>> National BankCard Services, Inc. (NBSi) www.NBSIPhoneCard.com
>> nbsi...@rocmail.com