Differences between BP and TP (was: comp.lang.pascal.borland FAQ)

On 13 Jun 1995 07:17:54 GMT, s...@ccnet.com (Scott A. Moore) wrote:

>Which is a collection of articles about turbo Pascal. This group desperately
>needs person or persons to administer to the FAQ. Why not me ? Because I know
>ZIP NADA NIL about Borland Pascal products. I have yet to understand what
>the difference between Borland Pascal and Turbo Pascal (doesen't Borland
>make them both ? Are they incompatible ? This should probally be the
>first question on the FAQ !).

Well, I hope I can clear up some of that confusion... :-)

Turbo Pascal:             Can compile only DOS real-mode programs.
Turbo Pascal for Windows: Can compile only Windows (3.x) programs.
Borland Pascal:           Can compile DOS real-mode, DOS
                          protected-mode, and Windows applications.

There are more differences in utilities included, etc., but those are
the very basic differences.  Also, I'm not sure whether TPW only
compiles Windows 3.1 programs or if it can also handle 3.0 programs.

// Richard Godbee
// rgod...@vnet.net

Re:Differences between BP and TP (was: comp.lang.pascal.borland FAQ)

In article <3rl945$...@ralph.vnet.net>, rgod...@vnet.net says...

>Well, I hope I can clear up some of that confusion... :-)

>Turbo Pascal:             Can compile only DOS real-mode programs.
>Turbo Pascal for Windows: Can compile only Windows (3.x) programs.
>Borland Pascal:           Can compile DOS real-mode, DOS
>                          protected-mode, and Windows applications.

>There are more differences in utilities included, etc., but those are
>the very basic differences.  Also, I'm not sure whether TPW only
>compiles Windows 3.1 programs or if it can also handle 3.0 programs.

Thanks, that helps.

As an afternote, please note that the author of the FAQ I posted has
requested that I refrain from posting his FAQ, so people needing
copies of the FAQ should see him.

                                            [sam]

s...@ccnet.com (Scott A. Moore) writes:

>In article <3rl945$...@ralph.vnet.net>, rgod...@vnet.net says...
>>Well, I hope I can clear up some of that confusion... :-)

>>Turbo Pascal:             Can compile only DOS real-mode programs.
>>Turbo Pascal for Windows: Can compile only Windows (3.x) programs.
>>Borland Pascal:           Can compile DOS real-mode, DOS
>>                          protected-mode, and Windows applications.

>>There are more differences in utilities included, etc., but those are
>>the very basic differences.  Also, I'm not sure whether TPW only
>>compiles Windows 3.1 programs or if it can also handle 3.0 programs.
>Thanks, that helps.
>As an afternote, please note that the author of the FAQ I posted has
>requested that I refrain from posting his FAQ, so people needing
>copies of the FAQ should see him.

There are differences in the language too.  TPW does not understand
the 'inherited' reserved word.  For two objects, TA and TB:

type
  TA=object
    constructor Init;
  end;
  TB=object(TA)
    constructor Init;
  end;

constructor TA.Init;
begin
  {blah}
end;

constructor TB.Init;
begin
{$IFDEF BP}
  inherited Init;
{$ELSE}
  TA.Init;
{$ENDIF}
  {more blah}
end;

In fact, BP 7 accepts the TPW syntax.  SpeedSoft's SpeedPascal for
OS/2 does *not* accept the TPW syntax (as I discovered yesterday!)

Tim.

In article <3rs551$...@lyra.csx.cam.ac.uk> tj...@mole.bio.cam.ac.uk (Tim Cutts (Zoology)) writes:

>There are differences in the language too.  TPW does not understand
>the 'inherited' reserved word.  For two objects, TA and TB:

TPW uses essentially the same compiler as TP 6.  TP/BP 7 introduced
"inherited"; that's why it's not in TPW.  There are a few things in TPW that
aren't in TP 6, but that's because they don't make sense in real mode DOS
programs.  Both TPW and TP 6 use identical formats of .TPU files.  TP/BP 7 use
a different format (but only one format for the 3 targets), and Delphi uses
a third.

Duncan Murdoch

In article <3rqvhj$...@ccnet.ccnet.com> s...@ccnet.com (Scott A. Moore) writes:

>As an afternote, please note that the author of the FAQ I posted has
>requested that I refrain from posting his FAQ, so people needing
>copies of the FAQ should see him.
>                                            [sam]

I don't understand this, I thought FAQs were supposed to be posted. :)

jg...@micron.net            Jim Grossl  /
"Experience is the best tool, at least that's what she said."  /
"Welcome to my town, now please leave."  /