Delphi/Pascal and Winsock Development

Does anyone know of any good sources of information for a new
developer of winsock apps for pascal or delphi?

Books, Sites etc would be very helpful.

Thanks.

Steve.

Re:Delphi/Pascal and Winsock Development

Does anyone know of any good sources of information for a new
developer of winsock apps for pascal or delphi?

Books, Sites etc would be very helpful.

Thanks.

Steve.

Re:Delphi/Pascal and Winsock Development

> Does anyone know of any good sources of information for a new
> developer of winsock apps for pascal or delphi?

        Could you be a little more specific as to what you want to do with winsock? Winsock is quite
encompassing.. The above is like saying "I want to program for Windows".

St...@dden.demon.co.uk (Steve Thompson) wrote:
>Does anyone know of any good sources of information for a new
>developer of winsock apps for pascal or delphi?
>Books, Sites etc would be very helpful.
>Thanks.
>Steve.

If your're looking for source code :-

Try DWinsock by Ulf Soderberg and others, it can be found on any
SimTel mirror.  I've been using version 1.43 (for Delphi 1.0) up 'til
now, very nice indeed.  v1.43 is the most recent freeware version I'm
afraid (i.e., you can get the source).  They've gone shareware with
their more recent DWinsock 2.0 which includes a ton of other features,
including support for other protocols (Appletalk etc.) and Delphi 2.0;
but no source :-(.

DWinsock 1.43 is really good for learning how things are done in terms
of asynchronous sockets (as opposed to non-blocking or blocking
sockets).  Asynchronous is the recommended way to go when programming
for Win 3.1 BTW.

Books?

There are a couple, none that I know of that are specific to Delphi
though.  I got hold of "Windows Sockets Network Programming" by Quinn
and Shute - at the time, the definitive Winsock programming book.
Seems OK, if you're willing to overlook the odd missing paragraph :-(.

Sites?

Try the turbo pascal programmers page, there are links to sockets
programming stuff.

--Eric

Eric Smith (e...@tns.co.za)

Eric Smith
Trusted Network Solutions                   Phone(W): +27-11-447-7171
e...@tns.co.za                                   Fax: +27-11-447-7172

Re:Delphi/Pascal and Winsock Development

>From: "Chad Z. Hower" <phoe...@pobox.com>
>Subject: Re: Delphi/Pascal and Winsock Development
>Date: Fri, 24 May 1996 00:04:31 -0400
>> Does anyone know of any good sources of information for a new
>> developer of winsock apps for pascal or delphi?

You mean other than www.winsock.com?

Just a suggestion, and a questionable one at that.

Archie search for ipsock12.zip.  The implementation is pretty much unusable
for anything remotely complicated since they're passing data in/out in pascal
strings, but that also keeps the confusion down.  I found it very useful for
learning how a Delphi socket component works.  Comes with a windows .hlp file,
in the Delphi style.  I would recommend a fairly good understanding of how IP
works before you dig too deep.

Shareware, $35, no source code.  I quit using it after about two weeks, but
would go back in a second if they fixed the string problem.

Brian

Re:Delphi/Pascal and Winsock Development

>>From: "Chad Z. Hower" <phoe...@pobox.com>
>>> Does anyone know of any good sources of information for a new
>>> developer of winsock apps for pascal or delphi?

There is supposed to be a new book coming out RSN, from Que (a division of
MacMillan?), called "Building Internet Applications with Delphi 2".

I* called the publisher, after trying for a couple weeks to get one from
Barnes & Noble. According to the very friendly people at Que, it has "just
now hit our warehouse, so it should be out on the shelves in a couple of
weeks."

I am having anxiety attacks waiting for it. Oh well. Look for it at your
local store. I'm still waiting for mine...

Mark Edwards
-----------------
Any email, judged by me, to be of a commercial nature, will be reviewed
and billed at a rate of $200 per item.

Re:Delphi/Pascal and Winsock Development

St...@dden.demon.co.uk (Steve Thompson) wrote:
>Does anyone know of any good sources of information for a new
>developer of winsock apps for pascal or delphi?

>Books, Sites etc would be very helpful.

>Thanks.

>Steve.

You Might try dWinsock....
dWinSock and related information can be found on:
http://www.cablenet.net/pages/marc/dwinsock.htm

--Keith Hawes

Other Threads