SQL server 7/2000 + ODBC + BDE, field name length problem

Hi,

I have a strange problem which occurs when I create long field names in SQL
Server 7/2000 tables. The database connection becomes totally confused and
even Borland SQL Explorer can not display data correctly. Everything is fine
while viewing data through Query Analyzer.

I suspect either ODBC or BDE can't handle field names which are longer than
30 charactes, although SQL server documentation states that ODBC should
allow
field names to be up to 128 characters while connecting to sql server 7 or
2000.
(SQL Server 6.5 had this limitation of 30 characters, is it possible that
BDE connects to
sql server 7 as if it's sql server 6.5)

As I observed creating field with a long name in any table of an sql server
7/2000
database would prevent sql explorer from displaying this table at all.
I wonder did anybody encounter this problem and are there any settings to
correct this?

Thank you

Vadim

Re:SQL server 7/2000 + ODBC + BDE, field name length problem

> (SQL Server 6.5 had this limitation of 30 characters, is it possible that
> BDE connects to
> sql server 7 as if it's sql server 6.5)

I think that's the problem. BDE (and MS DB-LIB) doesn't support new features
in SQL Server 7.0/2000.

Stanko

Re:SQL server 7/2000 + ODBC + BDE, field name length problem

On Thu, 27 Jun 2002 08:59:48 +0200, "Stanko Plohl" <sta...@vizija.si>
wrote:

>I think that's the problem. BDE (and MS DB-LIB) doesn't support new features
>in SQL Server 7.0/2000.

You are correct.  Microsoft never updated their DBLIB interface after SQL
Server v6.5.  Since the BDE uses this interface to connect to SQL Server
(as was prescribed by MS at the time) it can only support what the MS
interface supports.  IOW,  the BDE does not support any new features added
after SQL Server v6.5.

Jerry Bloomfield (TeamB)
--
http://www.teamb.com                                      JersW...@iwc.net
Please do *NOT* send private e-mail without prior permission (my anti-spam

Re:SQL server 7/2000 + ODBC + BDE, field name length problem

> (SQL Server 6.5 had this limitation of 30 characters, is it possible that
> BDE connects to
> sql server 7 as if it's sql server 6.5)

I think that's the problem. BDE (and MS DB-LIB) doesn't support new features
in SQL Server 7.0/2000.

Stanko

Other Threads