INFO: Fix for heap manager bug in Borland C++ 5.02

http://www.sirma.bg/Jogy/bcrtlfix.html

Re:INFO: Fix for heap manager bug in Borland C++ 5.02

> Interesting.  This is probably the answer to my posts regarding the
> exceptions I'm getting in TD under Win98 when running with heap tracking.
> Has Borland patched this?  I've read the instructions posted and will try
> fixing this but Borland should issue a patch.

No luck.  We have the companion CD that we ordered when we bought BCB 5.
There is no source directory.  Can I get this somewhere?

"Duane Hebert" <du...@nitrex.com> wrote in message news:3b028656_2@dnews...
> > Interesting.  This is probably the answer to my posts regarding the
> > exceptions I'm getting in TD under Win98 when running with heap tracking.
> > Has Borland patched this?  I've read the instructions posted and will try
> > fixing this but Borland should issue a patch.

> No luck.  We have the companion CD that we ordered when we bought BCB 5.
> There is no source directory.  Can I get this somewhere?

Hello,
What's on the Companion CD? Are there any OWL sources?
On the original Borland C++ 5.02 CD there is \BC5\SOURCE,
which contains subfolder OWL, RTL, CLASSLIB, OCF, etc.

I wonder if it is legal to put the fixed CW3230.DLL and CW3230MT.DLL on the
site for download - after all they are listed as files which can be freely redistributed.
(Or perhaps I can make some dummy application which uses them, and put it for download :)

----
Jogy
http://www.jogy.net/
j...@sirma.bg

"Jogy" <j...@sirma.bg> wrote:
>I wonder if it is legal to put the fixed CW3230.DLL and CW3230MT.DLL on the
>site for download - after all they are listed as files which can be freely redistributed.
>(Or perhaps I can make some dummy application which uses them, and put it for download :)

>----
>Jogy
>http://www.jogy.net/
>j...@sirma.bg

I would be great. It could save me (and probably others) some time. BTW, we have invested so much time to chasing this (hopefully it is this...) memory allocation bug...
Thanks for the info!!!
Yigal

Re:INFO: Fix for heap manager bug in Borland C++ 5.02

> Hello,
> What's on the Companion CD? Are there any OWL sources?
> On the original Borland C++ 5.02 CD there is \BC5\SOURCE,
> which contains subfolder OWL, RTL, CLASSLIB, OCF, etc.

As far as I can see it's just the packed stuff that gets installed.  There
is no SOURCE or RTL folder per se.

> I wonder if it is legal to put the fixed CW3230.DLL and CW3230MT.DLL on
the
> site for download - after all they are listed as files which can be freely
redistributed.
> (Or perhaps I can make some dummy application which uses them, and put it

for download :)

It seems that Borland could put the patched versions on this board
(attachments) for download.

On Wed, 16 May 2001 17:58:43 +0300, "Jogy" <j...@sirma.bg> wrote:
>I wonder if it is legal to put the fixed CW3230.DLL and CW3230MT.DLL on the
>site for download - after all they are listed as files which can be freely redistributed.

I sure as hell hope not. The *last* thing we need is for people to start
circulating hacked versions of the RTL. "Freely distributed" does NOT
mean "freely altered and then distributed". Go back and reread the
license.txt file. An excerpt:

"Except as provided in this statement, you may not transfer, rent, lease, lend,
copy, modify, translate, sublicense, time-share or electronically transmit or
receive the software, media or documentation."

Further, the license to redistribute files such as the RTL DLLs limits
such circulation to inclusion of those files with applications you build
with the licensed compiler and tools. You are not legally entitled to
distribute such files on their own. Excerpts:

"Under Borland's copyright, and subject to all of the conditions in this
statement, Borland authorizes the licensed, registered user of this product to
reproduce and distribute exact copies of the files designated as
"Redistributables" for this product, provided that such copies are made from
the original disks in this package (or a set of backup copies made directly
from them)."

[Note the phrase "exact copies".]

"Copies of Redistributables may only be distributed with and for the sole
purpose of executing application programs permitted under this statement that
you have written using this Borland product.  Under no circumstances may any
copies of Redistributables be distributed separately.  You may not reproduce or
distribute any Borland documentation without Borland's permission."

"All Borland libraries, source code, Redistributables and other files
remain Borland's exclusive property."

--
Wayne A. King
(ba...@torfree.net, wayne.k...@ablelink.org,

"Wayne A. King" <wak...@idirect.com> wrote in message news:3b02a64c.66739037@newsgroups.borland.com...

> On Wed, 16 May 2001 17:58:43 +0300, "Jogy" <j...@sirma.bg> wrote:

> >I wonder if it is legal to put the fixed CW3230.DLL and CW3230MT.DLL on the
> >site for download - after all they are listed as files which can be freely redistributed.

> I sure as hell hope not. The *last* thing we need is for people to start
> circulating hacked versions of the RTL. "Freely distributed" does NOT
> mean "freely altered and then distributed". Go back and reread the
> license.txt file. An excerpt:

I suspected so.
That's why I only put the instructions how to rebuild the RTL on the site.

> Further, the license to redistribute files such as the RTL DLLs limits
> such circulation to inclusion of those files with applications you build
> with the licensed compiler and tools. You are not legally entitled to
> distribute such files on their own. Excerpts:

There is another question I'd like to ask:
Is it legal to distibute modified RTL (or OWL) DLLs, with a commercial (or freeware) application,
which depends on the change of the functionality? (either a bug-fix, or an enhancement)

Jogy

Re:INFO: Fix for heap manager bug in Borland C++ 5.02

> I sure as hell hope not. The *last* thing we need is for people to start
> circulating hacked versions of the RTL. "Freely distributed" does NOT
> mean "freely altered and then distributed". Go back and reread the
> license.txt file. An excerpt:

Then they should fix it themselves and issue a patch.  We're stuck here
because the source wasn't included in the companion CD which they
distributed to us.  If this is a known issue then why wouldn't Borland just
make it accessible?

On Wed, 16 May 2001 19:36:14 +0300, "Jogy" <j...@sirma.bg> wrote:
>Is it legal to distibute modified RTL (or OWL) DLLs, with a commercial (or freeware) application,
>which depends on the change of the functionality? (either a bug-fix, or an enhancement)

NAFAIK, unless it's specifically authorized by Borland - as probably would
be the case with an *official* patch. The license appears to be explicit about
that, as I already quoted: you can only distribute *exact* copies of the DLLs,
made from the original disks (or direct copies thereof).

How do you plan to control the conflicts which will arise when you distribute a
modified RTL DLL? Your install of the DLL may replace that of someone else,
or vice versa. The change you rely on may disappear if another product is
installed which replaces the DLL with the original or <shudder> another hacked
copy. Even if you try to rely on installing the DLL in a private directory,
what happens when two or more programs are running at the same time,
both of which import functions from the same DLL? Which version will be
in memory? Which version will be used for both programs?

If you're going to patch the RTL on your own, you'd be well advised to
limit it to static libs/linking.

--

-----------------------------------------------------------------||||||||||||---

> reproduce and distribute exact copies of the files designated as..."

Allow me to emphasize the following: the statement is about the product
of Borland, and not about a *discontinued* one. As soon as Borland does
not care about that product, the statement becomes irrelevant unless it
explicitly uses the word(s) like DISCONTINUED, ABANDONED, ... The only
what Borland still provides "to support" that product is this NG, and we
all know that even if this NG goes down, we will find each other some-
where else on the web.
BOBA

On Fri, 18 May 2001 17:58:45 -0500, Boba <Boba_u3_Xo...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>the statement is about the product
>of Borland, and not about a *discontinued* one. As soon as Borland does
>not care about that product, the statement becomes irrelevant unless it
>explicitly uses the word(s) like DISCONTINUED, ABANDONED, ...

Wrong. The statement remains true as long as the product in question
remains the property of Borland. Until and unless they explicitly release
the product to the public domain, its use remains subject to their limitations.
Even if they make a product available for free download from their web
site, it remains *their* property and subject to the conditions they impose
on its use and redistribution. There are restrictions on what you can do
with all older versions you may have, and these restrictions are legally
binding until Borland says otherwise.

--
Wayne A. King
(ba...@torfree.net, wayne.k...@ablelink.org,
 wak...@idirect.com, Wayne_A_K...@compuserve.com)

Re:INFO: Fix for heap manager bug in Borland C++ 5.02

Legally, Borland exposes itself to a law suit, as a major malfunction was discovered
in its product and it does not fix it. Borland should approach all its customers
and giving them the fix.
Yigal

wak...@idirect.com (Wayne A. King) wrote:

>On Fri, 18 May 2001 17:58:45 -0500, Boba <Boba_u3_Xo...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>>the statement is about the product
>>of Borland, and not about a *discontinued* one. As soon as Borland does
>>not care about that product, the statement becomes irrelevant unless it
>>explicitly uses the word(s) like DISCONTINUED, ABANDONED, ...

>Wrong. The statement remains true as long as the product in question
>remains the property of Borland. Until and unless they explicitly release
>the product to the public domain, its use remains subject to their limitations.
>Even if they make a product available for free download from their web
>site, it remains *their* property and subject to the conditions they impose
>on its use and redistribution. There are restrictions on what you can do
>with all older versions you may have, and these restrictions are legally
>binding until Borland says otherwise.

>--
>Wayne A. King
>(ba...@torfree.net, wayne.k...@ablelink.org,
> wak...@idirect.com, Wayne_A_K...@compuserve.com)

Re:INFO: Fix for heap manager bug in Borland C++ 5.02

"Wayne A. King" <wak...@idirect.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 16 May 2001 17:58:43 +0300, "Jogy" <j...@sirma.bg> wrote:

> >I wonder if it is legal to put the fixed CW3230.DLL and CW3230MT.DLL on
the
> >site for download - after all they are listed as files which can be

freely redistributed.

> I sure as hell hope not. The *last* thing we need is for people to start
> circulating hacked versions of the RTL. "Freely distributed" does NOT
> mean "freely altered and then distributed". Go back and reread the
> license.txt file. An excerpt:

What if you produce a hacked version of the RTL, but give it a different
name? This would avoid conflicts with other software and would presumably be
legal, if the DLL is distributed as part of a software package.

(Distributing the hacked DLL by itself would probably be a violation of
copyright, because it is definitely a derived work.)

YMMV. Consult a lawyer in your own jurisdiction for details.

Daniel Pfeffer

Go to page: [1] [2]

Other Threads