Learning curve between Delphi and Visual Basic

 I am considering between Delphi 3 and Visual Basic 5 to write a database
application and was wondering which one will be easier to learn.  I have
worked a little with Delphi in the past and found it difficult to learn the
Pascal language. I do have past programming experience from DOS.

In my area there are tons of Visual Basic classes available, but no Delphi
classes. Considering I do not have the time to self teach myself, I need to
know which one will have the easiest and fastest learning curve. I know
there are pro and cons to both products, but I feel they probably will
achieve the same results in the long run.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Dave

Re:Learning curve between Delphi and Visual Basic

Dave Koup wrote:
>  I am considering between Delphi 3 and Visual Basic 5 to write a database
> application and was wondering which one will be easier to learn.

I suppose much of that depends on past experience and skill sets. In mycase, I'd worked for
years in DOS using primarily an xBASE dialect
and C/C++.  At the time I undertook Windows programming, Delphi
looked 'easier' for me to learn.  (The C++ tools then available had pretty
crude facilities for visual design of the user interface, so it seemed more
prudent to learn a new language than to fight the UI issue.)

I did consider VB, but the version I then checked out hid all my source
behind hundreds of windows.  In addition, by that time I was spoiled by
the strong object model of C++, much of which is available in Delphi,
but VB didn't have much of an object model. (Don't know about current
VB versions).

Another C benefit I wasn't willing to give up was compiled code and no
runtime DLLs.  This, I guess, is no longer an issue as VB now compiles
to native code.

> In my area there are tons of Visual Basic classes available, but no Delphi
> classes. Considering I do not have the time to self teach myself, I need to
> know which one will have the easiest and fastest learning curve.

I think the reality is that, whichever you choose, there will be a fair amount
of self-teaching, classes notwithstanding.  You've already taken the
most important 'class:' you've learned the principles of programming.
This is, by far, a steeper learning curve than any language.  Once you
know how to _program_, learning another language is not that big a
deal.

As for the lack of local Delphi classes, I wouldn't worry about it. The
Delphi manuals are excellent, the help system is stellar, and the example
projects will get you underway quickly.  In addition, there are tons of
excellent books on Delphi.  My favorite for database issues is:

'Database Developer's Guide with Delphi 2' by Ken Henderson.
SAMS Publishing.  ISBN0-672-30862-2

> I know
> there are pro and cons to both products, but I feel they probably will
> achieve the same results in the long run.

No question about that.

--
Wes Peterson
w...@cwo.com

Re:Learning curve between Delphi and Visual Basic

While I consider the Delphi programming environment to be superior,
allowing one to have a greater degree of versatility and control, I find
that for most beginning programmers, Visual Basic appears easier for them
to get something up and going since VB is interpreted, and has a line by
line checking of syntax, catching the mistakes as one types, thus speeding
the learning process.  If database programming is your primary focus,
consider MS Access--it is the easiest for a beginner to use to setup a
database.  MS Access also uses Visual Basic for Applications, which is
syntax compatible with Visual Basic.  Most code can just be cut and pasted
between Visual Basic and MS Access Basic. There are Access specific
functions and procedures which have do not have a direct VB equivalent, but
these Access specific functions are what makes Access easy to use to setup
a database.  I still maintain my old programs in Visual Basic and Access.
I do all my new work in Delphi (unless my client requests otherwise).
Since there are no Delphi classes in your area, your best bet appears to be
 a VB class.  Most professional programmers eventually learn several
languages over the course  their careers.  It is not possible to explain
the trade-offs to someone starting out--its like trying to explain to a
child why he has to learn his multiplication tables or cursive
handwriting--the advantages only become apparent only after one has
accumulated a body of knowledge and experience.  One has to start
somewhere, and Visual Basic is just as good as many other starting points.
I started with FORTRAN (worked through college programming in FORTRAN),
learned COBOL, learned Basic, learned MUMPS, dabbled in LISP, learned
Pascal (used Borland's Turbo Pascal compiler for several projects), learned
C (used for one serial port communications project), first started Windows
programming with Visual Basic 1 progressing to VB 4, did database projects
in Access 1, 2, and 95, and am now using Delphi 3 to develop client-server
databases.  My first client-server database is up and going, using Delphi3
as the front-end and MS SQL Server as the back-end.  So just go ahead and
take the first step to get started.  If you like programming, you will
eventually pickup other languages along the way.  Ignore the language
debates.  Your community appears to provide the best resources for learning
VB.  Good luck.
Gene

Dave Koup <dk...@koups.com> wrote in article
<5sjf6n$25...@news1.epix.net>...

>  I am considering between Delphi 3 and Visual Basic 5 to write a database
> application and was wondering which one will be easier to learn.  I have
> worked a little with Delphi in the past and found it difficult to learn
the
> Pascal language. I do have past programming experience from DOS.

> In my area there are tons of Visual Basic classes available, but no
Delphi
> classes. Considering I do not have the time to self teach myself, I need
> know which one will have the easiest and fastest learning curve. I know
> there are pro and cons to both products, but I feel they probably will
> achieve the same results in the long run.

> Any comments would be appreciated.

> Dave

Re:Learning curve between Delphi and Visual Basic

On Sun, 10 Aug 1997 00:11:57 -0400, "Dave Koup" <dk...@koups.com>
wrote:

Consider the following points:

- To develop a database application, you don't need to learn
everything about Pascal. In fact, just a little, because you'll be
leading with ready-made database components.
- There are thousands of Delphi components, I don't believe you'll
have difficulty to find what you need.
- VB is easier in the beginning, but Delphi is better in a long term.

In fact, you need to supply more information to get more opinions.

I hope this helps,

EBR

Other Threads