Small Icon

I have noticed that some programs use a different Icon for use when shown in
"small" mode. The default seems to be to let windows just squish the app's
main icon, but I would like to specify my own "small" version.

Anybody know how to do this??

TIA.

-John

Re:Small Icon

I have noticed that some programs use a different Icon for use when shown in
"small" mode. The default seems to be to let windows just squish the app's
main icon, but I would like to specify my own "small" version.

Anybody know how to do this??

TIA.

-John

Re:Small Icon

  You can use Microangelo (it'll encapsulate all types of icons in the same
icon (16x16, 32x32, 48x48 -- 16 to 256 color)

--
Jason Wallace
SL Software

jph wrote in message <35D5E6DA.C6B31...@internetaddress.com>...
>I have noticed that some programs use a different Icon for use when shown
in
>"small" mode. The default seems to be to let windows just squish the app's
>main icon, but I would like to specify my own "small" version.

>Anybody know how to do this??

>TIA.

>-John

Re:Small Icon

Use an editor like IconForge -- download from
http://www.cursorarts.com/ca_if.html -- to create a multi-res icon with
multiple icons for various sizes. Use the Project/Options menus and go to
the Application page tab to specify your multi-res file.

jph wrote in message <35D5E6DA.C6B31...@internetaddress.com>...
>I have noticed that some programs use a different Icon for use when shown
in
>"small" mode. The default seems to be to let windows just squish the app's
>main icon, but I would like to specify my own "small" version.

Re:Small Icon

Nice program, however, its $37.95; for this task save your money and use
Delphi's image editor.  With it you can easily create multi-image ico files
(BTW, any ico file can contain many images).  One thing to remember, with
Delphi 3.02 at least, is to order the images so that the 16 x 16 (small
icon) is first.  Then all you have to do is set the project's icon to your
multi-image ico file.  Windows will automatically use the small image for
the form caption and task bar and the larger image for the app.

Fred Hovey
FredH@eathling_dot_net(replace _Dot_ with period to reply)

Dan K. wrote in message <8U3C1.20879$MV.15072...@news.teleport.com>...
>Use an editor like IconForge -- download from
>http://www.cursorarts.com/ca_if.html -- to create a multi-res icon with
>multiple icons for various sizes. Use the Project/Options menus and go to
>the Application page tab to specify your multi-res file.

>jph wrote in message <35D5E6DA.C6B31...@internetaddress.com>...
>>I have noticed that some programs use a different Icon for use when shown
>in
>>"small" mode. The default seems to be to let windows just squish the app's
>>main icon, but I would like to specify my own "small" version.

Re:Small Icon

I've never found Delphi's image editor does anything "easily." Mostly it
hasn't worked except for very simple tasks. I consider including a
multi-resolution ico which was created in a better program to be far quicker
and "easier" -- and my time is worth far more than the $38 or whatever.

If you are just starting out, however, tinkering around with the Delphi image
editor may be all you can afford, however.

In article <1998Aug18.221020.10...@vmsmail.gov.bc.ca>,
  "Fred Hovey" wrote:

> Nice program, however, its $37.95; for this task save your money and use
> Delphi's image editor.  With it you can easily create multi-image ico files

Re:Small Icon

nd
wrote in message <8U3C1.20879$MV.15072...@news.teleport.com>...

>>I've never found Delphi's image editor does anything
>>"easily."

Really, not *anything*?

>>Mostly it hasn't worked except for very simple tasks.

For most experienced developers, creating a multi-image ico file is a
*simple* task.

>>I consider including a multi-resolution ico which was created
>>in a better program to be far quicker and "easier".

That depends on what you're trying to do.  Image editor has deficiencies,
particularly with 256 color icons; but for most icons, I suspect most people
use modifications of the literally thousands of icons that are easily
accessible and freely available on the Web.  These are pasted in to image
editor and modified.

>>and my time is worth far more than the $38 or whatever.

It's your money; spend it and your time however you choose; but, for things
as trivial as icons I'd rather spend my money on custom components and
de{*word*81}s and my time on programming.

>>If you are just starting out, however, tinkering around with the Delphi
image
>>editor may be all you can afford, however.

Whether starting out or consumate professional, Delphi image editor is
usually adequate for simple tasks such as icons;  I'll bet that
hundreds, if not most, experienced developers use image editor for icon
construction..

BTW, how fancy can you make a 16 x 16 icon anyway?

F. Hovey
fredh@earthling_DOT_net (replace _DOT_ with period to reply)

"Fred Hovey" wrote:
>> Nice program, however, its $37.95; for this task save your money and use
>> Delphi's image editor.  With it you can easily create multi-image ico

files

Other Threads