Graceful exits anyone?

OK, we all know of the INET/Error = 10054 errors on Interbase and NT/2000. I
find it happening more and more. We are trying to track down possible causes
in the network such as cables, bad NICs, etc., you know, the usual stuff.
Still nothing yet. Here's the $64,000 question:

    What is the best possible way to catch the disconnect errors in a Delphi
program and exit gracefully? Any tried and true methods?

    It seems that when this happens, all contact with the server is kaput.
No ping, no directory access, no nothing. So, with 20 or 30 users running
the program, everyone hangs. Now, I know there must be a way of detecting
this and shutting things down "normally", as much as possible anyway. Any
hints on the best way to do this?

Thanks,
Woody

Re:Graceful exits anyone?

 Hi, Woody. Is'nt it BDE 5.2 problem that was reported by David Robinson
06.07.01? Easiest way to read it is go to bugdiscussion NG - it's much
less loaded and this post should be at hand.

Best regards.

Re:Graceful exits anyone?

No, I use IBX, not the BDE so it's not that but I'll certainly follow up on
the posts suggested. Thanks anyway...

Woody

"Ded" <d...@hq.bereg.net> wrote in message

> Hi, Woody. Is'nt it BDE 5.2 problem that was reported by David Robinson
> 06.07.01? Easiest way to read it is go to bugdiscussion NG - it's much
> less loaded and this post should be at hand.

> Best regards.

Re:Graceful exits anyone?

Woody wrote:

> No, I use IBX, not the BDE so it's not that but I'll certainly follow up on
> the posts suggested. Thanks anyway...

        The suggested thread relates to a problem which does not affect IBX.
If you have an IBX question, you should ask it on
borland.public.delphi.database.interbaseexpress.

        HTH,

        -Craig

Re:Graceful exits anyone?

Craig,

    I was simply letting Ded know that I wasn't using the BDE so the thread
he referred to was not really valid. However, after careful thought, I
realize that this is probably more of a direct Delphi question and should be
posted on another group, perhaps b.p.d.o since it deals with handling an
outside influence on a Delphi program. I don't really think it matters
whether the database is Interbase or not, I suppose. Anytime a connection is
lost to the database you are connected to, I'm sure there must be some good
solutions for graceful program exiting. I'll try posting in another group.

Thanks...
Woody

Other Threads