Record Not Showing in a Clipper5 App, after BDE Post to dBase tables (II)

I am running a Delphi 4.0 application concurrently with a Clipper 5.0
application that views the same
data I am entering using a Delphi Application. LOCAL SHARE is set to TRUE in
my local BDE Setup. However I get the same results working with shared files
over the network, or in my local drive.

I have one set of related tables  A and I am creating new records in another
set of tables B, and transferring records from set A to set B. Both sets A
and B are using Delphi's BDE in the same program. After posting the records,
using TTable.Post and even the BDE's DbiSaveChanges function. I view them
again using a Delphi's App and all of the related records are there.

When my users view the same records using the Clipper5 App. They can not see
anything except for the master record. I checked the all the links /
relations and they are all there. When I look at the tables involved using
dBase IV v2.00 all of the records show up properly. But I can not see them
using the clipper5 App, until I reindex all of the tables involved using
dBase IV v2.00

It appears that the BDE is not updating the MDX file or the update is not
compatible with Clipper
or dBase, or Clipper5's MDX driver is not fully dBase compatible.

Has anybody experience this problem before? and/or knows the solution. Any
Ideas as to how to solve this problem?

TO everyone.
I am new to posting messages on these forums and I was not aware I was
posting using HTML
format, I am using OutLook express. I will try to change this immediately

Thank you very much
Gilbert Loza

related tables to the master

Re:Record Not Showing in a Clipper5 App, after BDE Post to dBase tables (II)

In article <7u04il$ii...@forums.borland.com>, Gilbert Loza said...

> When I look at the tables involved using dBase IV v2.00 all
> of the records show up properly. But I can not see them
> using the clipper5 App, until I reindex all of the tables
> involved using dBase IV v2.00

> It appears that the BDE is not updating the MDX file or the
> update is not compatible with Clipper or dBase, or Clipper5's
> MDX driver is not fully dBase compatible.

Is it possible that you forgot to say which version of BDE you are using?
If you are using the buggy BDE 5.0, please upgrade quick to BDE 5.01. The
latter version works flawlessly with any version of dBASE and their MDX
indexes.  BDE version 5.1.0 _may_ be as good but our experience is too
limited to recommend it (frankly it seems ok with dBASE).

Is Clipper5's MDX really dBASE compatible? I don't know but since you are
using dBASE tables and knows the xBase language, you should seriously
consider using Visual dBASE 7.x  Clipper was once a lot better than dBASE
but the World has moved since Clipper's death.

If you want an idea of at all the things you could be doing using dBASE,
just give a look at our _free_ magazine. Select one of the links below.

Jean-Pierre Martel, editor
The dBASE Developers Bulletin

Canada       http://www.jpmartel.com/bultin04.htm
France       http://www.fghoche.com/dbulletin/bultin04.htm
Germany      http://www.tnm.de/dBulletin/bultin04.htm
Italy        http://www.intrasoft.it/db2kit/bultin03.htm
New Zealand  http://www.compkarori.com/dbase/bultin04.htm
South Africa http://www.dbase.co.za/resource/dbulletin/bultin04.htm
Sweden       http://www.sakia.se/dbulletin/bultin04.htm
U.S.A.       http://www.staubassociates.com/dbase/bultin04.htm

Re:Record Not Showing in a Clipper5 App, after BDE Post to dBase tables (II)

On Mon, 11 Oct 1999 13:12:30 -0700, "Gilbert Loza" <gl...@cap-mpt.com>
wrote:

>I am running a Delphi 4.0 application concurrently with a Clipper 5.0
>application that views the same
>data I am entering using a Delphi Application. LOCAL SHARE is set to TRUE in
>my local BDE Setup. However I get the same results working with shared files
>over the network, or in my local drive.

[...]

The BDE cannot work in situations where a Clipper application is
concurrently accessing the same table the BDE uses. Clipper's table access
and locking schemes are not compatible with that of the BDE.

There are third-party database engines that you can use in lieu of the BDE
and that can work concurrently with Clipper.

Steve Koterski                  "Computers are useless. They can only give
Technical Publications          you answers."
Borland                                       -- Pablo Picasso (1881-1973)
http://www.borland.com/techpubs/delphi

Other Threads