Corrupt Memo/Blob File

I am getting problems with a DBase database (~4000 records). Users are
periodically getting an error message 'Corrupt Memo/Blob file xxx.dbt',
when they try to view certain records. These records are not ones which
have been recently edited or created, nor has my program been
crashed/abnormally terminated.

I can't reproduce these errors, but they input a lot more data than me.
The files aren't exposed to multi-user access. The only way to get rid
of the message (short of extracting all the data to a new database) is
to pack the table. This causes the original memo field for the syndrome
in question to be replaced by what seems to be a copy of another
record's memo.

They are using Windows 3.1, whereas I use '95.

I'd be grateful to hear from anyone who has had similar problems with
DBase files, or who can advise on what could cause such an error.

I'm going to try downloading the new version of the BDE, to see if that
helps.

Mark

Mark Williams                   M...@polyhdrn.demon.co.uk
Polyhedron Software Ltd.
Programs for Programmers - QA, Compilers, Graphics
************ Visit our Web site on http://www.polyhedron.co.uk/ ************

Re:Corrupt Memo/Blob File

In article <BpzMWAAmxqvxE...@polyhdrn.demon.co.uk>, Mark Williams
<m...@polyhdrn.demon.co.uk> writes

>I am getting problems with a DBase database (~4000 records). Users are
>periodically getting an error message 'Corrupt Memo/Blob file xxx.dbt',
>when they try to view certain records. These records are not ones which
>have been recently edited or created, nor has my program been
>crashed/abnormally terminated.

>I can't reproduce these errors, but they input a lot more data than me.
>The files aren't exposed to multi-user access. The only way to get rid
>of the message (short of extracting all the data to a new database) is
>to pack the table. This causes the original memo field for the syndrome
>in question to be replaced by what seems to be a copy of another
>record's memo.

>They are using Windows 3.1, whereas I use '95.

>I'd be grateful to hear from anyone who has had similar problems with
>DBase files, or who can advise on what could cause such an error.

>I'm going to try downloading the new version of the BDE, to see if that
>helps.

To follow up to my own problem:

        It appears, from looking into the DBT and DBF files, that Memos
are being posted 'on top' of existing (and still used) memos in the dbt
file. The errors are only occurring when a posted memo's length in
blocks exceeds that of the overwritten memo, so that it overwrites the
header of the following memo.

I still have no idea what could cause this, and would be very grateful
if anyone has any ideas. Please.

Mark

Mark Williams                   M...@polyhdrn.demon.co.uk
Polyhedron Software Ltd.
Programs for Programmers - QA, Compilers, Graphics
************ Visit our Web site on http://www.polyhedron.co.uk/ ************

Other Threads