Delphi 1 under Win95

Graham Booth <gra...@cplsci.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>Hi
>Can anyone tell me if there are any problems with running / developing
>Delphi 1 under Win95.

I get MAJOR problems. Practically with whatever I'm doing (a simple
clock to a big multi-user database app for keeping track of1000+
students) I get a system crash. That blue screen (text - not graphics)
comes up with the error message:

"A fatal exception 0E has occured at 0137:BFF9A07C. The current
application will be terminated".

And then it says press any key to return to the current application or
press CTRL-ALT-DEL to reboot. Strange thing is, pressing any key just
makes the screen black and the cursor moving around on it. Nothing
works. So, I gotta press the reset button. I eventually gave up on why
this is happening and now I just do all my developing under Win3.1. By
the way, this only happens in development stage. Running the EXE from
Explorer or something without having Delphi running works fine.

>I presume apps developed under Delphi 1 in Win95 can run on Win3.1?

Yep. Works fine. It doesn't matter what OS it is developed under, it
is the type of compiler that was used (16/32 bit).

Cheers,
Damien

Are you a shareware programmer? E-mail me for info on
something I'm writing to make your life a lot easier!!!
=== "http://204.101.50.93/students/damien/dmhome.htm" ===

Re:Delphi 1 under Win95

Hi

Can anyone tell me if there are any problems with running / developing
Delphi 1 under Win95.

Is it pretty similar to 3.11 and no other major problems?

I presume apps developed under Delphi 1 in Win95 can run on Win3.1?

Any answers would be most welcome

Cheers

Graham Booth

Re:Delphi 1 under Win95

On Thu, 13 Jun 1996 17:20:53 +0100, Graham Booth <gra...@cplsci.demon.co.uk>
wrote:

>Hi

>Can anyone tell me if there are any problems with running / developing
>Delphi 1 under Win95.

>Is it pretty similar to 3.11 and no other major problems?

>I presume apps developed under Delphi 1 in Win95 can run on Win3.1?

>Any answers would be most welcome

>Cheers

>Graham Booth

Graham: I've had no problems that way. I develop under Win 95 and the programs
are tested and run by another person under win 3.1 or 3.11 with no problems.

Now that I've said that I must note that we did have one problem. That was when
I developed using 800X600 resolution with large fonts. Such programs could hot
be properly scaled for a machine running 640X480 using Win 3.11 although they
would scale properly under Windows 95. That is the only case where I've seen a
conflict and it can be avoided by not using large fonts.

dick MacDonald
{*word*106} MacDonald

Re:Delphi 1 under Win95

Graham Booth wrote:

> Hi

> Can anyone tell me if there are any problems with running / developing
> Delphi 1 under Win95.

> Is it pretty similar to 3.11 and no other major problems?

> I presume apps developed under Delphi 1 in Win95 can run on Win3.1?

> Any answers would be most welcome

> Cheers

> Graham Booth

I have had no problems with development under Win95 using Delphi 1.0.
I've been using this configuration for quite some time without a hitch.
 I think it's even better than developing on 3.1 because of the more
robust OS.  I've only had to reboot during development a handful of
times in the last several months.  When I was developing on 3.11, I was
rebooting much more often.

The apps generated work perfectly under both Win95 and Win3.1, so I
think it's a great solution.  Plus, I can easily host Delphi 2.0 on the
same machine and generate the 32-bit executable as well.

Hope this helps,
Blake Schwendiman

Re:Delphi 1 under Win95

Blake Schwendiman <sch...@agdec.com> wrote:
>I have had no problems with development under Win95 using Delphi 1.0.
>I've been using this configuration for quite some time without a hitch.
> I think it's even better than developing on 3.1 because of the more
>robust OS.  I've only had to reboot during development a handful of
>times in the last several months.  When I was developing on 3.11, I was
>rebooting much more often.
>The apps generated work perfectly under both Win95 and Win3.1, so I
>think it's a great solution.  Plus, I can easily host Delphi 2.0 on the
>same machine and generate the 32-bit executable as well.

I had to give up on it. I have things that absolutely REFUSE to run
under 95. They run fine when run from Explorer or something as an EXE
but NOT from Delphi. An error occurs saying:

"A fatal exception 0E has occured at 0137:BFF9A07C. The current
application will be terminated."

The address is always the same. Half the time my EXE compiles and runs
fine but if I so much as move the mouse, CRASH!!! I can't even cancel
it. I have to press reset and boot up again.

Like I said, I gave up on this. My apps run fine under both OS's but I
have to do all my developing under Win3.1.

On Thu, 13 Jun 1996 18:02:36 -0600,{*word*106}...@ix.netcom.com (Richard

MacDonald) wrote:
>On Thu, 13 Jun 1996 17:20:53 +0100, Graham Booth <gra...@cplsci.demon.co.uk>
>wrote:

>>Can anyone tell me if there are any problems with running / developing
>>Delphi 1 under Win95.

Running: no. Developing: yes - see below.

>>Is it pretty similar to 3.11 and no other major problems?

Less problems while in development mode - you gain a bit more
stability (though probably not as much as with NT - which people say
to be excellent)

>>I presume apps developed under Delphi 1 in Win95 can run on Win3.1?

Yes. Basically it's the other way around.... Win3.1 -> Win95, but
well...

>Graham: I've had no problems that way. I develop under Win 95 and the programs
>are tested and run by another person under win 3.1 or 3.11 with no problems.

This is a MUST, since:

I HAVE had my share of problems: Things having worked well on a Win95
caused crashes on Win3.1; different behaviour etc.

All NOT being Delphi's fault, always the WinAPI or assumptions one is
making. For instance, Win95 will take a path "C:\TEST\" while Win3.1
wull only accept "C:\TEST". Develop in Win95 and have fun with your
code on Win3.1.

Resources on Win3.1 are much more restricted (e.g. timers=16, Win95
unlimited).

Again, this all is NOT a Delphi problem, but rather one of
incompatibilities between Win3.1 and Win95

Having made these rather painful experiences I still develop using
Win95 but NEVER release anything without having it tested extensively
on Win3.1 (which is a good idea anyway).
--
Stefan Hoffmeister                       Stefan.Hoffmeis...@Uni-Passau.de
University of Passau, Bavaria, Germany   http://www.rz.uni-passau.de/~w4hoff01/

Re:Delphi 1 under Win95

Graham Booth <gra...@cplsci.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>Hi
>Can anyone tell me if there are any problems with running / developing
>Delphi 1 under Win95.

I do it every day.  I have no more problems under '95 than I did under
3.1. Actually, I like it a little more because of its added
flexibility.

JE McTaggart
t...@iguana.ruralnet.net
La Junta, Colorado