Problem with app that works only from within Delphi...(and Win 95)

Hi,

I have encountered a rather odd problem using Delphi 1.0.

I have an app with:

DBF files for the data
bunch of standard controls (dbedit, tlist, tgrid, etc.)
Formula1 and First Impression VBX's

Now, here's the strange part:

I make a few function calls to the Formula1 DLL which work just fine,
thank you very much, under Windows 95 OR when run from within Delphi.
When running under Windows 3.1, the app will not run at all - Windows
reports the generic message "Cannot
Now, if I comment out any function calls to this DLL, everything works
again.

What's so damned confusing is the fact that the app will run under Win
95 and from within Delphi...also, to add to the confusion, the same
app used to work fine under Windows 3.1 before a few minor changes
were made (nothing of consequence - a few label changes...).

Every DLL and VBX the app could possibly want is available to it (in
the app's directory, in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM and also elsewhere in the
search path).

Does anybody have any idea what could be the problem here? I might be
able to find a workaround (might) but it seems to me that this is a
symptom of a potentially dangerous problem...

Thanx in advance,

rbi...@inforamp.net

Re:Problem with app that works only from within Delphi...(and Win 95)

Hi,

I have encountered a rather odd problem using Delphi 1.0.

I have an app with:

DBF files for the data
bunch of standard controls (dbedit, tlist, tgrid, etc.)
Formula1 and First Impression VBX's

Now, here's the strange part:

I make a few function calls to the Formula1 DLL which work just fine,
thank you very much, under Windows 95 OR when run from within Delphi.
When running under Windows 3.1, the app will not run at all - Windows
reports the generic message "Cannot find file (or one of it's
components) etc."

In article <5hbnok$...@news.inforamp.net> rbi...@inforamp.net (The Dragon Reborn) writes:

>I have encountered a rather odd problem using Delphi 1.0.
>I have an app with:
>DBF files for the data
>bunch of standard controls (dbedit, tlist, tgrid, etc.)
>Formula1 and First Impression VBX's
>Now, here's the strange part:
>I make a few function calls to the Formula1 DLL which work just fine,
>thank you very much, under Windows 95 OR when run from within Delphi.
>When running under Windows 3.1, the app will not run at all - Windows
>reports the generic message "Cannot
>Now, if I comment out any function calls to this DLL, everything works
>again.
>What's so damned confusing is the fact that the app will run under Win
>95 and from within Delphi...also, to add to the confusion, the same
>app used to work fine under Windows 3.1 before a few minor changes
>were made (nothing of consequence - a few label changes...).

My gut feeling is that you've gotten ahold of a demonstration version of these
DLLs -- or they think they're a demonstration -- and so they won't run unless
Delphi is running at the same time.  If you've got a proof of purchase for
these then it's time to give holy hell to the vendor.  :-)

Other Threads