Configuring the BDE for local network use

Hi all,

  We have just finished a database application written using C++ Builder 4
and InterBase. We have a problem configuring the BDE alias so that it would
recognize a database file on another user's computer within the same
network.  We have tried setting the local share property to true in the BDE
configuration utility and mapping the drive that contains the database in
network neighbourhood.  The error we get is network access denied.  However,
installing InterBase Client on another computer does allow us to see the
database file located in our computer.  What needs to be done to the BDE to
allow for remote aliasing?

Re:Configuring the BDE for local network use

Local Share applies only to Paradox and dBase databases so set it to false.
Assuming a TCP/IP network the path in your alias should be:

ServerMachineName:c:\mydata\employee.gdb

where the drive letter and path are relative to the Interbase server machine
(not a mapped drive letter).

--
Bill

Re:Configuring the BDE for local network use

Bill,

  Great, that fixed our problem, just a note: when the path for the alias is
set by browsing, it shows up as
//ServerMachineName/c/mydata/employee.gdb
rather than
ServerMachineName:c:\mydata\employee.gdb.  The former path causes the
network access error.  Thanks again.

Re:Configuring the BDE for local network use

That path should work using NetBEUI but will not work with TCP/IP.

--
Bill

Other Threads