bgi driver for ATI agp graphics card

The VESA16.BGI driver (built 93-04-05) does not work with my ATI agp card in
higher resolutions. Initgraph ends with graphics error 255. Does anyone
knows about a never version of this driver - or any other bgi driver - that
works in resolution 800x600 (16 colors / program compiled with BP7 in
protected mode) with newer harware?
thanks
Lothar Dittmer
LDitt...@LDittmer.de
www.Ldittmer.de

--
Lothar Dittmer
LDitt...@LDittmer.de

Re:bgi driver for ATI agp graphics card

In article <8rpfvo$qjd$1...@news.t-online.com>, Lothar Dittmer wrote:
>The VESA16.BGI driver (built 93-04-05) does not work with my ATI agp card in
>higher resolutions. Initgraph ends with graphics error 255. Does anyone
>knows about a never version of this driver - or any other bgi driver - that
>works in resolution 800x600 (16 colors / program compiled with BP7 in
>protected mode) with newer harware?

Your card probably supports VESA, and you could try the vesa bgi.

I searched for bgi and vesa on google, and found several locations like
this:

ftp://ftp.teleport.com/vendors/mikeday/bgi256.zip

Re:bgi driver for ATI agp graphics card

On 8 Oct 2000 10:11:45 GMT, mar...@toad.stack.nl (Marco van de Voort)
wrote:

>In article <8rpfvo$qjd$1...@news.t-online.com>, Lothar Dittmer wrote:
>>The VESA16.BGI driver (built 93-04-05) does not work with my ATI agp card in
>>higher resolutions. Initgraph ends with graphics error 255. Does anyone
>>knows about a never version of this driver - or any other bgi driver - that
>>works in resolution 800x600 (16 colors / program compiled with BP7 in
>>protected mode) with newer harware?

>Your card probably supports VESA, and you could try the vesa bgi.

Yes, Marco, but read your own quotation again: Lothar Dittmer states
that he _is_ using a VESA BGI driver, presumably the one that came with
BP7, although it must be noted that the timestamp matches neither that
of BP version 7.00 (October 27th, 1992), nor that of version 7.01 (March
9th, 1993), which arouses some suspicion.

If the ATI card really does support VESA mode 102 hex (800x600 with 16
colors), then his current driver should work and he is obviously doing
something wrong. On the other hand, if the ATI card does not support 16
color VESA modes, then no other VESA BGI driver is going to provide this
particular mode either. Consequently, Lothar Dittmer's assumption that
his problem might be solved by a newer driver is incorrect. (Note that
the VESA standard is hardware independent). Marco's suggestion to try
the VESA driver of Michael Day will probably work, but this is not what
Lothar wants, because this driver does not support the 16 color modes.

Haye van den Oever

Re:bgi driver for ATI agp graphics card

Haye van den Oever:

> If the ATI card really does support VESA mode 102 hex (800x600 with 16
> colors), then his current driver should work and he is obviously doing
> something wrong.

There is a subtle problem with ATI cards: there is no state buffer,
(an +/- useless thing) so when the driver tries to activate it during
init, VESA returns a VBE error. I had to add a fix in a driver for that.

Gautier  --  http://members.xoom.com/gdemont/gsoft.htm

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Haye van den Oever <hvdoe...@stad.dsl.nl> wrote in message

> If the ATI card really does support VESA mode 102 hex (800x600 with 16
> colors), then his current driver should work and he is obviously doing
> something wrong. On the other hand, if the ATI card does not support 16
> color VESA modes, then no other VESA BGI driver is going to provide this
> particular mode either.

That is quite correct. Either the MACH64 VESA VBE (2.0), or the MACH64 chipset
itself does not support 16 colour SVGA modes, so a new BGI driver will NOT fix
the problem. Display Doctor (http://www.scitechsoft.com) ~might~ help if it's
just a VBE (VESA Bios Extensions) problem.

--
Jay

Jason Burgon - Author of "Graphic Vision"  GUI for DOS/DPMI
=== Free LFN capable Dos/WinDos replacement and ===
=== New Graphic Vision  version 2.10 available from:  ===
http://www.jayman.demon.co.uk

Other Threads