Hide a Program From the Taskbar - interesting question

Hello my friends!

    Well, I'm writing to you because of two things. First, I would like to
say that I had the same problem as Paul Thanner (two years ago) and I tried
a lot of commands to hide the program from the taskbar including this one:
ShowWindow Application.Handle, SW_HIDE);, however, when you're running the
program and if you look at the taskbar you can see the name of the program
appearing and then disappearing. How can it be possible? Is there another
way not to see it appearing and then disappearing? I'm trying to solve this
problem since 1998!! Nobody could solve it yet!

    In second place, I would like to say to you Happy New Year!!

    By the way, is there another way to run a program when windows starts
without editing win.ini or by putting a string in the registry without being
seen? (I know there is a possibility - you need to create a string in
...LOCAL_MACHINE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run but this is obvious
and I don't want people to find it so easy or if possible not to see it).

PS: I use Delphi 2.0

Re:Hide a Program From the Taskbar - interesting question

[...]

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run but this is

"Carva" <Alvaro.Ca...@clix.pt> wrote in message

> Hello my friends!

>     By the way, is there another way to run a program when windows starts
> without editing win.ini or by putting a string in the registry without
being
> seen? (I know there is a possibility - you need to create a string in
> ...LOCAL_MACHINE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run but this is obvious
> and I don't want people to find it so easy or if possible not to see it).

Hi,

Forgive me for being (over-) suspicious, but could you explain to us why you
would like to have your program started (hidden) when Windows boots but
without the user being able to detect its presence?

I suppose you are aware that doing what it looks like you're trying to do is
a serious offence...

GRS

Re:Hide a Program From the Taskbar - interesting question

Have you tried using this?

RegisterServiceProcess

>     Well, I'm writing to you because of two things. First, I would like to
> say that I had the same problem as Paul Thanner (two years ago) and I tried
> a lot of commands to hide the program from the taskbar including this one:
> ShowWindow Application.Handle, SW_HIDE);, however, when you're running the
> program and if you look at the taskbar you can see the name of the program
> appearing and then disappearing. How can it be possible? Is there another
> way not to see it appearing and then disappearing? I'm trying to solve this
> problem since 1998!! Nobody could solve it yet!

Re:Hide a Program From the Taskbar - interesting question

> Forgive me for being (over-) suspicious, but could you explain to us why
you
> would like to have your program started (hidden) when Windows boots but
> without the user being able to detect its presence?

> I suppose you are aware that doing what it looks like you're trying to do
is
> a serious offence...

I agree with your opinion, but I don't think that this is the place to ask
the person for the reasons.

This groups topic is Delphi, and the morale of the program someone is trying
to create is absolutely not an issue here. And this probably didn't help the
given person.

And of course, there is e-mail for questions of that type.

No hard feelings, this, again, is my own opinion.

Viktor

Re:Hide a Program From the Taskbar - interesting question

In article <92hith$485...@as121.tel.hr>, vikt...@illustro.hr says...
> > Forgive me for being (over-) suspicious, but could you explain to us why
> you
> > would like to have your program started (hidden) when Windows boots but
> > without the user being able to detect its presence?

> > I suppose you are aware that doing what it looks like you're trying to do
> is
> > a serious offence...

> I agree with your opinion, but I don't think that this is the place to ask
> the person for the reasons.

> This groups topic is Delphi, and the morale of the program someone is trying
> to create is absolutely not an issue here. And this probably didn't help the
> given person.

> And of course, there is e-mail for questions of that type.

> No hard feelings, this, again, is my own opinion.

> Viktor

I feel it is perfectly justified to ask questions like this. I see
reguar requests from people on this (and other) groups asking for tricks
to hide their application, avoid closing of the application, automaticly
start their application, etcetera. To be frank, I don't like these
requests at all! For whatever purpose you make the application, I don't
see any reason to COMPLETELY hide it from the user. The user should
ultimatly be in charge and should be able to know what's going on in the
system.

No hard feelings, but I don't like the idea of some programmer trying to
take contol of my system.

Andr

--
Replies to my email are not appreciated unless explicitly asked for.

Re:Hide a Program From the Taskbar - interesting question

> To be frank, I don't like these
> requests at all!

To be frank, If you don't like the question, then don't answer it.

-Luke

Re:Hide a Program From the Taskbar - interesting question

In article <t4q5bv9k4ef...@corp.supernews.com>, the-pugil...@e{*word*277}.com
says...
> > To be frank, I don't like these
> > requests at all!

> To be frank, If you don't like the question, then don't answer it.

> -Luke

I certainly won't!

Andr

--

"Luke Croteau" <the-pugil...@e{*word*277}.com> wrote in message

> To be frank, If you don't like the question, then don't answer it.

> -Luke

Hey.. Let's chill out a bit and not turn this into a flame war. OK guys?

We all have differing points of view, none of which allow us, however, to
escape from our obligations as programmers to bring ethics into the
equation.

I replied to vikt...@illustro.hr in private basically saying that we have a
name to uphold and that we can't afford to let it go bad because of doubtful
practices going on. I also pointed out that what was originally requested
closely resembles how some e-mail viruses operate, and that even though I do
have an answer to the question I'm not going to give it unless I'm sure it
will be put only to good use.

Alvaro.Ca...@clix.pt may be just writing a system service or some other kind
of legitimate background process, and I'd really like to kelp him if this is
the case. Then again, I can't help noticing how conspicuous his absence is
since I requested clarification.

Maybe my belief in collective responsablilty makes me no more than an
idealist, or just one of the last few members of a dying species.

I apologise if any feathers have been flustered and will take no further
part in this thread, although I'll continue to follow it.

GRS.

Re:Hide a Program From the Taskbar - interesting question

> Hey.. Let's chill out a bit and not turn this into a flame war. OK guys?

I'm sorry if I came across that way. My simple point was, since you don't
like the original question, don't reply. That way we can ensure that the
postings on the group are very fruitful. The correct response Andre should
have had was of clarification, not accusation.

> I replied to vikt...@illustro.hr in private basically saying that we have
> name to uphold and that we can't afford to let it go bad because of
doubtful
> practices going on. I also pointed out that what was originally requested
> closely resembles how some e-mail viruses operate, and that even though I
do
> have an answer to the question I'm not going to give it unless I'm sure it
> will be put only to good use.

Understandable. But the correct thing to do, which you did, was to e-mail
the party in question and mention that it is a doubtful practice to do what
he wants to do.

> Alvaro.Ca...@clix.pt may be just writing a system service or some other
kind
> of legitimate background process, and I'd really like to kelp him if this
is
> the case. Then again, I can't help noticing how conspicuous his absence is
> since I requested clarification.

This is very possible. I myself asked the very question which is the main
topic, to which someone replied "You must be writing a virus. *bleep* off."
Someone was kind enough to e-mail me and clarify what I was doing, and when
I told him the exact description, he taught me how to do this and a few
other things that helped me to do the application.

> Maybe my belief in collective responsablilty makes me no more than an
> idealist, or just one of the last few members of a dying species.

Not quite. We all have a responsibility to help people who need help and to
answer that which needs to be answered. I frequent a lot of different
newsgroups and I try to be as helpful as I can. But to me, there is no point
in answering a question with a refusal to help. Kind of like saying "I know
how and you don't.. Nyah nyah nyah."

I'm glad you are attempting to help him out. I hope he succeeds in whatever
practice he is doing.

-Luke Croteau

Other Threads