How to uses ActiveForms with installing them?

Hello,

I am interested in creating a range of controls that I can use in my MDI
ap and update and extend the function and types of controls without
changing my "shell" application.

I know the interface and I won't be changing it.

Right now I'm cheating a bit and using CreateComObject which does about
90% of what I need to do, but some kind of true ActiveForm which acts
more like a real delphi form would be much much better.  Unfortunately,
everything I've seen says I have to install them into the VCL before I
can use them.  This may allow updating, by replacing the OCX, but it
wouldn't allow me to add controls without replacing the shell.

Can I use ActiveForms without "installing them" as components?