FAST Tile-Map Scrolling Routines

Ivan-Mark Debono wrote:

> Hi everybody,

> We are developing a new tiled-map strategy game, and we are in the
> need of VERY FAST tile-map scrolling routines, which can handle large
> maps.

> If you have any information and/or source code (preferably in Pascal),
> please let me know.

> Rgds,
> Ivan

I just put up two tile based map scrollers.  One uses 320x200x256
chained mode (kinda like mode X)  The other uses regular 320x200x256
mode 13h.  Complete Borland Pascal 7.0 source is included.  The file
format that the routines use are from my animation program called
"Animator Pro".  I highly recomend downloading a version of this too.

Scrolling routines ----http://www2.msstate.edu/~gpb1/tilescroll.html
Animator Pro ----------http://www2.msstate.edu/~gpb1/animatorpro.html

I have other routines such as an ultra fast pcx loader.  Go to my index
page to see all the routines that I have developed.

General Index ---------http://www2.msstate.edu/~gpb1/gameindex.html

Hope this helps

Greg Breland

Re:FAST Tile-Map Scrolling Routines

Ivan-Mark Debono (ivanm...@dream.vol.net.mt) wrote:

: Hi everybody,

: We are developing a new tiled-map strategy game, and we are in the
: need of VERY FAST tile-map scrolling routines, which can handle large
: maps.

: If you have any information and/or source code (preferably in Pascal),
: please let me know.

In the moment I am also writing a strategy/action game in the moment.

The routines I use are quite simple :

I use the Vesa function set display start to achieve a kind of double
buffering and write every new frame to the momentarily hidden frame.

So from my experience you do not have to care about scrolling at all.

I know that there are possibly faster methods, but there are surely no
easier methods. Another plus is that you do not have to care about
sprite movement as you just draw your background first and then
overlay the sprites.

I get about 30 fps on a P100 in mode 640x480x256.

If you like to take a look at the demo of my game ...
it is on my homepage. (projects crossfire)

Christian Schneider                          e-Mail:  u...@rz.uni-karlsruhe.de
Leharstr. 15                                 http://www.uni-karlsruhe.de/~un7d
68799 Reilingen    Germany