Native driver for SQL-Server 7 / Best way to connect to SQL-Server 7

I think I read somewhere that there are BDE native drivers for MSSQL 7.0.
These however do not support all the advanced datatypes etc. eg nvarchar

George Aligianis

Achim Habbel <al...@t-online.de> wrote in message

> Hello,

> is it possible to connect MS SQL-Server 7 via an native driver.

> I don't want to connect it via ODBC because I think the performance will
> decrease. Do you know any other way to connect Delphi 3 or 4 CS with MS
> SQL-Server 7?

> Thank you in advance!

> Achim Habbel
> (Finnentrop, Germany)

Re:Native driver for SQL-Server 7 / Best way to connect to SQL-Server 7

Hello,

is it possible to connect MS SQL-Server 7 via an native driver.

I don't want to connect it via ODBC because I think the performance will
decrease. Do you know any other way to connect Delphi 3 or 4 CS with MS
SQL-Server 7?

Thank you in advance!

Achim Habbel
(Finnentrop, Germany)

Re:Native driver for SQL-Server 7 / Best way to connect to SQL-Server 7

You may try ADO/OLEDB - for my knowledge so far it is a buch faster than
ODBC. There are several Components out there, wo encapsulate ADO so you can
use Databound Controls as usual.

Greets,

Olaf

Achim Habbel <al...@t-online.de> schrieb in im Newsbeitrag:
7j0j17$g...@forums.borland.com...

> Hello,

> is it possible to connect MS SQL-Server 7 via an native driver.

> I don't want to connect it via ODBC because I think the performance will
> decrease. Do you know any other way to connect Delphi 3 or 4 CS with MS
> SQL-Server 7?

> Thank you in advance!

> Achim Habbel
> (Finnentrop, Germany)

Re:Native driver for SQL-Server 7 / Best way to connect to SQL-Server 7

You can connect with native bde drivers to MS SQL Server 7, make sure you got
the latest BDE from Inprise site ( V 5.01), although there are some limitations.
The native driver uses DBLIB Api from MS to connect to server and therefore does
not support the new datatypes, that came with version 7. MS decided not to
update this API any longer.

There seem to be problems with tables that have more than 45-50 columns. This
error has been reported here several times, although i cannot reproduce it on my
machine.

MS prefereed interface for MS SQL 7 ( at least for the near future - which can
be very short time with MS ) is ADO.
There are several third party Components out at this time.
See http://www.kylecordes.com/bag/index.html for different BDE alternatives
including the several ADO Compilations ( Kamiak etc ).

In case you haven't visited nontechnical forum lately :
Delphi 5 will have ADO Support on board, that is a set of ADO Components working
similar to Queries/Tables you have now with D4/D5.

If you do not need the new datatypes/ and or have this "large table" problem,
using the native driver is the best choice, i think.

HTH
Bernd

--
Bernd Ua - Software-Haus Brumund GmbH