DDE to Word 97

We have a (16-bit) Delphi-written DDE app that pokes macro commands into
Word 6 and Word 7(95) to be executed... but it stopped working on our first
tries with Word 8 (97).  Can't even seem to create the DDE conversation at
all now.

Does anyone know if/what has changed regarding the reception of DDE messages
in the newest Word?

(And yes, we'd like to remain in 16-bit because some of our clients still
have Word 6, sigh.)
--
Alan Becker
Information Design

Re:DDE to Word 97

We have a problem looking like yours.

Our application (as well 16-bits and 32-bits versions) worked perfectly
with word 95.

As soon as we installed word 8, we were unable to access word documents
(wrotten with word 95) from our application (but it works with documents we
write in word 8).

The message (french version) is "LA CLASSE SOURCE DE L'OBJET LIE A ETE
MODIFIEE".

The document is referenced as "word.document.6"

Something to change in the registry ?

Michel Preat

Alan Becker <informationdes...@compuserve.com> a crit dans l'article
<6nvi4r$i...@forums.borland.com>...

> We have a (16-bit) Delphi-written DDE app that pokes macro commands into
> Word 6 and Word 7(95) to be executed... but it stopped working on our
first
> tries with Word 8 (97).  Can't even seem to create the DDE conversation
at
> all now.

> Does anyone know if/what has changed regarding the reception of DDE
messages
> in the newest Word?

> (And yes, we'd like to remain in 16-bit because some of our clients still
> have Word 6, sigh.)
> --
> Alan Becker
> Information Design

Re:DDE to Word 97

Michel,

If it helps you, "word.document.6" is actually the file format for
Word 7 (95) -- it is the same doc-file format as they used for Word
6.0.

So perhaps your problem will be solved once you have opened all your
old Word 95 documents and saved them in Word 8 format (which is a new
doc format). Even if you can't do this to all your old documents at
once, perhaps early in your routine you could add a line to check
whether the doc you want is an old (95) one, and resave it first in
the new 7.0 format before proceeding with the rest of the routine.
That is just an idea (and maybe you already thought of it) -- hope it
helps.

Please tell me how you created your DDE application -- if it works at
all with Word 8, it's better than mine is right now.  :-)     Does
your 16-bit program work okay with Word 8 files?

--
Alan Becker
Information Design

Other Threads