Posting Immediately

I am using Delphi 3 STD and paradox tables. When I issue a post it is
done to the data set in memory and not out to disk. If I enter records
all day and don't close the program and let's say the power goes out all
is lost.

How can I write the new record or the edited record to the table
immediately to disk?
How come the post doesn't do this?
Any help appreciated.

Bill Mears
Comp*Centrics

Re:Posting Immediately

Bill,

 The BDE caches writes if the table is local drive.  BDE does not do
this when the table is being shared.  One way to force the BDE not to
cache is to set Local Share to True on the System
page of the BDE configuration program. This forces the BDE to treat
the table as if it is being shared.

 --- x

==============================
Xavier Pacheco (TeamB)
xav...@xapware.com

Sorry but TeamB cannot answer support
questions received via email.

Re:Posting Immediately

Either set your local share to True (which flushes all buffers to disk
immediately)
or use Table.FlushBuffers;
Bill Mears wrote in message <35DAA498.C7A27...@banet.net>...
>I am using Delphi 3 STD and paradox tables. When I issue a post it is
>done to the data set in memory and not out to disk. If I enter records
>all day and don't close the program and let's say the power goes out all
>is lost.

>How can I write the new record or the edited record to the table
>immediately to disk?
>How come the post doesn't do this?
>Any help appreciated.

>Bill Mears
>Comp*Centrics

Re:Posting Immediately

If I set local share to true on my own system and then make a CD for
distirbution will the local share option be carried over to the new
machines the program is installed on? If not how can I guarantee that the
customers program will send immediate updates to the tables. I woud think
that a post would be a post without further code on a local table, BUT !?

Bill Mears

Xavier Pacheco (TeamB) wrote:
> Bill,

>  The BDE caches writes if the table is local drive.  BDE does not do
> this when the table is being shared.  One way to force the BDE not to
> cache is to set Local Share to True on the System
> page of the BDE configuration program. This forces the BDE to treat
> the table as if it is being shared.

>  --- x

> ==============================
> Xavier Pacheco (TeamB)
> xav...@xapware.com

> Sorry but TeamB cannot answer support
> questions received via email.

Re:Posting Immediately

I just checked my BDE config page and Local Share is set to TRUE for all
drivers already and it is still caching the data. If I shut down the
program everything is updated. If I sit here and enter many customer
records and then customer detail records and then just shut the computer
off (simulating a power outage) everything is lost. Nothing gets posted
to disk until I shut down the program. Personally, I think was a stupid
oversight for a database program language using a simple set of local
tables. A post is a post, can't I still edit, append or delete? So why is
not a post a post?

Food for thought for version 5 Inprise.

Bill Mears

Xavier Pacheco (TeamB) wrote:
> Bill,

>  The BDE caches writes if the table is local drive.  BDE does not do
> this when the table is being shared.  One way to force the BDE not to
> cache is to set Local Share to True on the System
> page of the BDE configuration program. This forces the BDE to treat
> the table as if it is being shared.

>  --- x

> ==============================
> Xavier Pacheco (TeamB)
> xav...@xapware.com

> Sorry but TeamB cannot answer support
> questions received via email.

Re:Posting Immediately

Xavier,
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, I found the system set in the database
explorer and the Local Share was set to false. My updates are immediate.
If I send my BDE config as part of a setup program will the customers
machine also be set to Local Share = True and they will get immed.
updates? Again, Thank you.

Bill Mears

Xavier Pacheco (TeamB) wrote:
> Bill,

>  The BDE caches writes if the table is local drive.  BDE does not do
> this when the table is being shared.  One way to force the BDE not to
> cache is to set Local Share to True on the System
> page of the BDE configuration program. This forces the BDE to treat
> the table as if it is being shared.

>  --- x

> Xavier Pacheco (TeamB)
> xav...@xapware.com