Oracle 8i connection without TNSnames.ora?

Does anybody know of a way to pass SQLLinks a connect string that specifies
the server IP address, instance name, etc. in order to connect to an Oracle
8i server without a TNSNames.ora? (Host naming is not an option for us)
Also, does anybody know why Net8 will not accept the IP address for a TCP/IP
connection as the host name?  SQL-Net 2.3 would allow you to do this.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Re:Oracle 8i connection without TNSnames.ora?

Brian Santarelli wrote:

> Does anybody know of a way to pass SQLLinks a connect string that specifies
> the server IP address, instance name, etc. in order to connect to an Oracle
> 8i server without a TNSNames.ora? (Host naming is not an option for us)

I not test it. But in general, where You can use alias from
TNSNames.ora,
You can, also, use service descriptor (right parts in TNSNames.ora).

> Also, does anybody know why Net8 will not accept the IP address for a TCP/IP
> connection as the host name?  SQL-Net 2.3 would allow you to do this.

It is wrong. You can pass IP address as host name. Seems, that You have
other issues.

Dmitry

Dmitry L. Arefiev, senior programmer, Nica-Com ltd.
Author of NCOCI8 - Delphi to Oracle8i direct access
EMail: di...@ncom.ru      ICQ: 50741007

Other Threads