D4 / Sybase SQL Anywhere / Adaptive Server Anywhere 6.0

Hi there,

I'm having real problems getting to grips with my first app using this
database, and would be greatful for any help ...

The "reading" / Querying side of Sybase is excellent. Very very good
speeds..

But posting records to it is a nightmare!

Basically I'm using ttables (well, Infopower's twwtables, actually) in big
append / post loops ....  Works a treat against Paradox tables, but
performance against the Sybase is attrocious ... 1 post on a 40 column
table every 3 seconds. Is there a better way to do this posting ???

I read a post in this (maybe another) group, saying that the problem was
with the way ODBC sets AUTOCOMMIT to true ....  meaning that every
ttable.Post is actually a transaction which is being fully committed. And
that the way to overcome this was to set the SQLPASSTHRU MODE in the BDE to
SHARED NOAUTOCOMMIT .... (I've done this and still no joy) ...

Most of my D1/2/3/4 work over these last years has been on Paradox tables,
with a small diversion into Interbase.

I'm I missing a basic point?  All help greatfully received ...

Many thanks,

Jason Hankin

Re:D4 / Sybase SQL Anywhere / Adaptive Server Anywhere 6.0

On Thu, 10 Dec 1998 20:00:42 GMT, "Jason Hankin"

<jason@nospamformeplease_lightwrk.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>Basically I'm using ttables (well, Infopower's twwtables, actually) in big
>append / post loops ....  Works a treat against Paradox tables, but
>performance against the Sybase is attrocious ... 1 post on a 40 column
>table every 3 seconds. Is there a better way to do this posting ???

You might want to try to explicitly start a transaction, do all your
posting, and then commit the work. Should speed up quite a bit!

Marc
Marc Scheuner                            Berner Versicherungen, Dept. ISV
May the Source be With You               Laupenstrasse 27
marc.scheu...@berner.ch                  CH-3001 BERNE, Switzerland

Re:D4 / Sybase SQL Anywhere / Adaptive Server Anywhere 6.0

Been doing that and it seems do make absolutely no difference .....

Marc Scheuner <marc.scheu...@no.spam.please.ch> wrote in article
<3672e5d5.5897...@news.bernoise.ch>...

----------

Re:D4 / Sybase SQL Anywhere / Adaptive Server Anywhere 6.0

>>Basically I'm using ttables (well, Infopower's twwtables, actually) in big
>>append / post loops ....  Works a treat against Paradox tables, but
>>performance against the Sybase is attrocious ... 1 post on a 40 column
>>table every 3 seconds. Is there a better way to do this posting ???

we've had similar problems caused by the /&%&/ bde's odbc-handling.

you can optimize throughput using a construct like

call insertnrows(col11,col12,..col21,col22,..colnx)

by almost n times :-/

if u really need speed code an esql-wideput-wrapper in c.

x000 records per sec are no problem then!

ciao, jan

Other Threads