Need help with distributing 2 tier apps.

Hi,

I just finished building some 2 tier application (Delphi application as a
front end and MS Access as a back end).   I am using Bolrland 4.0 and I
noticed that it does not use native driver (ODBC) to access MS Access.  It
has to go through the Borland Databse Engine.  Is there any way I can make
my delphi application to use ODBC directly?  I just want to by pass using
BDE as it cause me problem with creating distribution disk.

I have used InstallShield Express that came with Delphi 4, but I can't
seem to get it to install in correctly.  I kept getting BDE errors.  It
keep saying that it can't find some dll files under Windows/System
directory.

I am just looking for ways to easily distribute 2 tier application.

Application built using Delph 4.0 proffesional.
Database built using MS Access, MS Office 2000.

Thank you all.

---- Jun

--
Jun B. Cha

Re:Need help with distributing 2 tier apps.

There are 3 ways to access MS Access databases: ODBC, DAO and ADO.
The BDE can be used for ODBC and DAO (the MSACCESS driver). For ADO you need
Borland ADOExpress (included in D5Ent and D6Pro and D6Ent).
If you don't want to use the BDE or ADOExpress you can use a 3rd party
replacement (see http://www.kylecordes.com/bag/index.html).

"Jun Cha" <c...@dimensional.com> schreef in bericht

> Hi,

> I just finished building some 2 tier application (Delphi application as a
> front end and MS Access as a back end).   I am using Bolrland 4.0 and I
> noticed that it does not use native driver (ODBC) to access MS Access.  It
> has to go through the Borland Databse Engine.  Is there any way I can make
> my delphi application to use ODBC directly?  I just want to by pass using
> BDE as it cause me problem with creating distribution disk.

> I have used InstallShield Express that came with Delphi 4, but I can't
> seem to get it to install in correctly.  I kept getting BDE errors.  It
> keep saying that it can't find some dll files under Windows/System
> directory.

> I am just looking for ways to easily distribute 2 tier application.

> Application built using Delph 4.0 proffesional.
> Database built using MS Access, MS Office 2000.

> Thank you all.

> ---- Jun

> --
> Jun B. Cha

Re:Need help with distributing 2 tier apps.

Thanks for your help.  But I was wondering what is the best way of distributing
application?

I just don't want the hassle of setting up ODBC and distributing BDE.  I just
want to create a distribution disk that will just use eighter ODBC or BDE.  But
sounds like that since BDE (that can with Delphi 4.0) is DAO that I can't use
it as stand alone to access MS Access database.

Hmm, I wonder if it's worth upgrading to Delphi 6.0 Proffesional version,
so that I could get ADO.

Thank you for your feed back.

---- Jun

--
Jun B. Cha

Re:Need help with distributing 2 tier apps.

You don't have to upgrade to Delphi 6. You could also use a third-party ADO
component (e.g. Diamond ADO, www.islamov.com). ADO doesn't need a
configuration like ODBC or BDE. All configuration information is stored in
the application itself.
ADO is already part of Win98, Win2000 and WinME and can be installed on
Win95 and WinNT by downloading and installing MDAC from
www.microsoft.com/data.

> Thanks for your help.  But I was wondering what is the best way of
distributing
> application?

> I just don't want the hassle of setting up ODBC and distributing BDE.  I
just
> want to create a distribution disk that will just use eighter ODBC or BDE.
But
> sounds like that since BDE (that can with Delphi 4.0) is DAO that I can't
use
> it as stand alone to access MS Access database.

> Hmm, I wonder if it's worth upgrading to Delphi 6.0 Proffesional version,
> so that I could get ADO.

> Thank you for your feed back.

> ---- Jun

> --
> Jun B. Cha

Re:Need help with distributing 2 tier apps.

look at www.summerfld.demon.co.uk\d2access.zip which i wrote. Its old
but still correct about BDE to Access.  Access 2000 tables need ADO.

AS

Other Threads