Board index » delphi » Java Converter, Anyone???

Java Converter, Anyone???

Hi, all you delphi studs...

My boss recently asked me how feasible it would be to migrate
the delphi code we have to Java...

I was just wondering if there are any delphi->java converters
(I'm thinking just .dfm to .java)

I'm sure I'm not the first one to think of this!!

btw, our original project is still D1.0 (damn W3.1 backwards compat.
problems...)

--
Thanx in advance,
Raj

email:                          Mosaic/html:
 rsesh...@eng.utah.edu           http://www.cs.utah.edu/~rseshadr

"If at first you don't succeed, REDEFINE SUCCESS!!!"

 

Re:Java Converter, Anyone???


On 30 Jun 1996 02:14:23 GMT, rsesh...@labhp30.cs.utah.edu (Raj Seshadri)
wrote:

:My boss recently asked me how feasible it would be to migrate
:the delphi code we have to Java...

For what?  You definitely do not want to put any large scale application into
the Java language.  It is not meant for that, nor does it have the ability to
facilitate that.  Java is best for small, compact apps for the web.

-----
Kerry Sanders
code...@mindspring.com
http://www.mindspring.com/~ksanders

Re:Java Converter, Anyone???


Quote
Kerry Sanders wrote:

> On 30 Jun 1996 02:14:23 GMT, rsesh...@labhp30.cs.utah.edu (Raj Seshadri)
> wrote:

> :My boss recently asked me how feasible it would be to migrate
> :the delphi code we have to Java...

> For what?  You definitely do not want to put any large scale application into
> the Java language.  It is not meant for that, nor does it have the ability to
> facilitate that.  Java is best for small, compact apps for the web.

Bzzzt - WRONG!

Java is very well suited for large applications (thought the AWT is still
not good enough for the UI part).

I will still use Delphi for Windows apps, but when people are starting
to talk about cross platform abilities, Java will be high up on the
list of tools. When better tools (Borland Latte, Symantec Visual Caf)
come out, I might even concider a switch for the Windows part. It would
require a Just In Time compiler though, at least for compute-intensive
stuff...

--
____________________________________________________________________
--- Terje : t.berge...@shell.no    - I speak only for ME.
---
--- <!--#include virtual="/docs/std/disclaimer.txt" -->

Re:Java Converter, Anyone???


In article: <31D92F48.6...@shell.no>  "Terje A. Bergesen" <t.berge...@shell.no> writes:

Quote

> Kerry Sanders wrote:

> > On 30 Jun 1996 02:14:23 GMT, rsesh...@labhp30.cs.utah.edu (Raj Seshadri)
> > wrote:

> > :My boss recently asked me how feasible it would be to migrate
> > :the delphi code we have to Java...

[snip]

Quote
> I will still use Delphi for Windows apps, but when people are starting
> to talk about cross platform abilities, Java will be high up on the
> list of tools. When better tools (Borland Latte, Symantec Visual Caf?)
> come out, I might even concider a switch for the Windows part. It would
> require a Just In Time compiler though, at least for compute-intensive
> stuff...

When will Borland produce a version of Delphi that outputs Java
run-time code? It should be fairly simple to bolt a Java run-time
code generator onto Delphi's Pascal compiler.

--
Chris Isbell               Southampton, England
ch...@kenda.co.uk (work)   ch...@isbell.demon.co.uk (home)
+44 1703 869922            +44 1703 465367

Re:Java Converter, Anyone???


I heard that JAVA stands for "Just Another Vaporware Announcement".

Ed Gadziemski
EFG Systems, Inc.
Ashburn, VA

Re:Java Converter, Anyone???


Doing such a thing should be fairly straightforward from a pure language
standpoint.  From the standpoint of libraries, UI etc. it gets much worse.
;)

I'm also interested in this topic, please keep me informed of what you find
out.  I'd guess Borland will introduce some tools along with the Latte
product, but I haven't heard/seen anything to that effect.

Quote
rsesh...@labhp30.cs.utah.edu (Raj Seshadri) wrote:
>Hi, all you delphi studs...
>My boss recently asked me how feasible it would be to migrate
>the delphi code we have to Java...
>I was just wondering if there are any delphi->java converters
>(I'm thinking just .dfm to .java)
>I'm sure I'm not the first one to think of this!!
>btw, our original project is still D1.0 (damn W3.1 backwards compat.
>problems...)
>--
>Thanx in advance,
>Raj
>email:                              Mosaic/html:
> rsesh...@eng.utah.edu           http://www.cs.utah.edu/~rseshadr
>"If at first you don't succeed, REDEFINE SUCCESS!!!"

--
Terry Sikes               |  Software Developer
tsi...@netcom.com         |  C++, Delphi, Java, Win32 (in alphabetical order ;)
finger for PGP pub key    |  Objectionable objects objectify objectivity.
My opinions - mine only!  |  http://members.aol.com/tsikes

Re:Java Converter, Anyone???


Quote
code...@mindspring.com (Kerry Sanders) wrote:
>On 30 Jun 1996 02:14:23 GMT, rsesh...@labhp30.cs.utah.edu (Raj Seshadri)
>wrote:
>:My boss recently asked me how feasible it would be to migrate
>:the delphi code we have to Java...
>For what?  You definitely do not want to put any large scale application into
>the Java language.  It is not meant for that, nor does it have the ability to
>facilitate that.  Java is best for small, compact apps for the web.

You're mistaken.  Java was introduced riding the surge of popularity the
Inet is enjoying right now.  However, its a general purpose programming
language, and JIT and true compiler technologies are appearing that address
its most serious weakness - performance.  Many large scale Java projects are
appearing - for instance Corel is porting Wordperfect to Java as we speak.

Keep an eye on comp.lang.java.announce and comp.lang.java.programmer for a
bit...you'll see.

--
Terry Sikes               |  Software Developer
tsi...@netcom.com         |  C++, Delphi, Java, Win32 (in alphabetical order ;)
finger for PGP pub key    |  Objectionable objects objectify objectivity.
My opinions - mine only!  |  http://members.aol.com/tsikes

Other Threads