ISAPI (Internet Server API) and BDE

Hello ALL!!!!

Is there anyone playing with ISAPI and Delphi out there??
It's a really great and easy thing, until you try yo use BDE
(TTables and such) in yout MS IIS Server Extension written in
Delphi?

WHY??? I KNOW!!!!

After frustrating tries and retries, I have managed to
discover that BDE uses a preferred base address
for its shared memory that conflicts with ISAPI!!!!
YEAH! So, before trying to make web applications
with Delphi 2 and ISAPI do the following thing:

1- Run BDECFG2
2- Select the System tab
3- change the value of SHAREDMEMLOCATION paramter
to 8000 (it's 7000 in NT and it conflicts with IIS!!)
4- Now you can safely write your IIS Extension DLL's in
    Delphi 2!

HAVE FUN!

Daniel

Re:ISAPI (Internet Server API) and BDE

Daniel Polistchuck wrote:

> Hello ALL!!!!

> Is there anyone playing with ISAPI and Delphi out there??
> It's a really great and easy thing, until you try yo use BDE
> (TTables and such) in yout MS IIS Server Extension written in
> Delphi?

> WHY??? I KNOW!!!!

> After frustrating tries and retries, I have managed to
> discover that BDE uses a preferred base address
> for its shared memory that conflicts with ISAPI!!!!
> YEAH! So, before trying to make web applications
> with Delphi 2 and ISAPI do the following thing:

> 1- Run BDECFG2
> 2- Select the System tab
> 3- change the value of SHAREDMEMLOCATION paramter
> to 8000 (it's 7000 in NT and it conflicts with IIS!!)
> 4- Now you can safely write your IIS Extension DLL's in
>     Delphi 2!

> HAVE FUN!

> Daniel

This will work until you load yet another DLL that
wants the same address space...

This is the kind of thing that you'll start seeing
more and more of as DLLs and OCXes vie for address
space with each other and their EXEs...  It's
unfortunate but pretty much unavoidable--that's
why we put in the config parameter to allow you to
change it.

Nevertheless, this is a much better situtation
than the Jet engine, which you can't use at all
because it is not thread-enabled....

-- Conrad Herrmann
(Borland C++)

Re:ISAPI (Internet Server API) and BDE

Conrad,

Yes, unfortunately there seems to be no solution
other than letting the developers choose a new
address as suitable.

I didn't know it was a common problem.

Thanks!
Daniel.

--
Daniel Polistchuck

<31A66109.1...@wpo.borland.com>...
> This will work until you load yet another DLL that
(...)
> wants the same address space...
> -- Conrad Herrmann
> (Borland C++)