Win 95 and the Win 3.1 Screen object

I am new to Delphi programming. I am writing a program that must be
able to run in Win 3.1 and Win 95. My approach is to use Delphi 1
and have one program that runs in both environments; I may also
recompile with Delphi 2 to have a 95 native version.

During runtime, I use the Screen object to determine the screen size
and use that information to layout my forms and components. Before I
did it, I assumed that the Win95 environment would return a screen
size that made allowances for the taskbar. To my surprise, it seems
not to be the case. On the other hand, native Win 3.1 programs, such
as WordPerfect, that know nothing of Win95 adjust themselves
correctly. What information are they getting that I am not? And why
doesn't the Delphi Screen object get the same information?

Thank you for your help,
Van Kurtz
(vanku...@buffnet.net)

Re:Win 95 and the Win 3.1 Screen object

On Thu, 18 Apr 1996 19:26:13 -0400, "Van Thomas Kurtz, PhD"

<vanku...@buffnet.net> wrote:
>During runtime, I use the Screen object to determine the screen size
>and use that information to layout my forms and components. Before I
>did it, I assumed that the Win95 environment would return a screen
>size that made allowances for the taskbar. To my surprise, it seems
>not to be the case. On the other hand, native Win 3.1 programs, such
>as WordPerfect, that know nothing of Win95 adjust themselves
>correctly. What information are they getting that I am not? And why
>doesn't the Delphi Screen object get the same information?

  I haven't looked into this at all, but off-hand I'd say it probably
has something to do with the maximize code.  Win 3.1 programs adjust
their client area to leave space for the taskbar when maximized, this
is because windows resizes the window when it gets maximized.  Hope
this helps a little.

--
- Defcon (Defc...@ix.netcom.com) -

Other Threads