Client/Server book recommendations?

Hello,
We want to start developing applications that use databases over the
internet.  I assume that using Client/Server is the best way to accomplish
this.  I don't want to write a Web Page application, I want to keep Delphi's
old familiar forms type of interface, but let the database reside on an
Internet server somewhere.  It seems that Client/Server is probably the best
way to do this unless someone else has a good way to accomplish this.

I've only found two books out there that deal with Delphi and Client/Server,
and they are either out of print or out of stock.  Someone recommended
getting a book that deals with the specific database the we're going to be
using, then just integrade that into Delphi.

If it's available, I need a book on the "dummy's" level.  I know very little
about this sort of thing.

Any help is greately appreciated!

-= Jesse =-
http://www.msdlg.com
http://www.davinci-mims.com

Re:Client/Server book recommendations?

Delphi developers guide 4,0

Jesse Castleberry <Je...@msdlg.com> wrote in message

> Hello,
> We want to start developing applications that use databases over the
> internet.  I assume that using Client/Server is the best way to accomplish
> this.  I don't want to write a Web Page application, I want to keep
Delphi's
> old familiar forms type of interface, but let the database reside on an
> Internet server somewhere.  It seems that Client/Server is probably the
best
> way to do this unless someone else has a good way to accomplish this.

> I've only found two books out there that deal with Delphi and
Client/Server,
> and they are either out of print or out of stock.  Someone recommended
> getting a book that deals with the specific database the we're going to be
> using, then just integrade that into Delphi.

> If it's available, I need a book on the "dummy's" level.  I know very
little
> about this sort of thing.

> Any help is greately appreciated!

> -= Jesse =-
> http://www.msdlg.com
> http://www.davinci-mims.com

Re:Client/Server book recommendations?

A client/server database does not have to be on the Internet, of
course.  Anyhow, one of the best books I can recommend is "Essential
Client/Server Survival Guide," by Orfali, Harkey and Edwards.  (ISBN for
my edition is 0-471-13119-9.)  It is now in its second or third
edition.  As far as I know it's not out-of-print; at least it ought not
to be.

I think the recommendation about focusing on your specific server from
the start is an excellent one, if indeed you know what server that is
going to be.  Also be sure that you get a firm grasp on "the big
picture," as Orfali's book will help you to do.

>Jesse Castleberry wrote:

> Hello,
> We want to start developing applications that use databases over the
> internet.  I assume that using Client/Server is the best way to accomplish
> this.  I don't want to write a Web Page application, I want to keep Delphi's
> old familiar forms type of interface, but let the database reside on an
> Internet server somewhere.  It seems that Client/Server is probably the best
> way to do this unless someone else has a good way to accomplish this.

> I've only found two books out there that deal with Delphi and Client/Server,
> and they are either out of print or out of stock.  Someone recommended
> getting a book that deals with the specific database the we're going to be
> using, then just integrade that into Delphi.

> If it's available, I need a book on the "dummy's" level.  I know very little
> about this sort of thing.

> Why =shouldn't= it be quick and easy to keep your database online?

Re:Client/Server book recommendations?

Take a look at Delphi 5 Developer's Guide by Teixeira and Pacheco. If you
wanto to use Delphi forms you will need to use Midas for the connection.

--
Bill

Bill Todd (TeamB)

Re:Client/Server book recommendations?

>We want to start developing applications that use databases over the
>internet.  I assume that using Client/Server is the best way to accomplish
>this.  I don't want to write a Web Page application, I want to keep Delphi's
>old familiar forms type of interface, but let the database reside on an
>Internet server somewhere.

Take a look at ASTA  www.astatech.com
This component suite makes it very easy to create applications that use a
database with access over the internet.

--
Brian Bushay (TeamB)
Bbus...@NMPLS.com

Re:Client/Server book recommendations?

Spend time on the borland.sqlservers newgroups. Better resource
than any book I've read about sql development with Delphi.
Jesse Castleberry <Je...@msdlg.com> wrote in message news:886aas$gk79@bornews.borland.com...
> Hello,
> We want to start developing applications that use databases over the
> internet.  I assume that using Client/Server is the best way to accomplish
> this.  I don't want to write a Web Page application, I want to keep Delphi's
> old familiar forms type of interface, but let the database reside on an
> Internet server somewhere.  It seems that Client/Server is probably the best
> way to do this unless someone else has a good way to accomplish this.

> I've only found two books out there that deal with Delphi and Client/Server,
> and they are either out of print or out of stock.  Someone recommended
> getting a book that deals with the specific database the we're going to be
> using, then just integrade that into Delphi.

> If it's available, I need a book on the "dummy's" level.  I know very little
> about this sort of thing.

> Any help is greately appreciated!

> -= Jesse =-
> http://www.msdlg.com