Aged Delph Programmer needs help on Win 32 API

At 57 I just can't keep up with learning new techniques - particularly when
manuals are not shipped with most products .....so can any one give me a code
fragment to do the following task!

I have a proprietary voice processing run-time environment running on Windows
NT continuously 24 hours a day.   A Delphi 3 program interacts with the voice
processing sub-system.  Unfortunately there is a memory leak of a few kb every
time the voice processing system  answers a call on the 2 mb ISDN circuit.
In time the system crashes ( it doesn't try paging memory) which in turn makes
the ISDN link fail, requiring the TELCO to manually reset the line - usually at
when I am asleep on the early morning!!

Thats the problem.   At present I have to get the operator to watch the memory
usage using task manager and manuall stop and restart the vp application every
few hours.

Until I change the vp application environment, I need a work-around which
checks the amount of free memory on the NT machine and when it reaches a
critical level stops and re-starts the voice processing application.   I will
code the program to wait until no callers ar on line before I stop and
re-start.

Any suggestions or code skeletons would  be greatly appreciated.

Peter Yellow
London UK

Re:Aged Delph Programmer needs help on Win 32 API

Are you using Dialogic boards ?  Do you know where the memory leak is
occurring?
Do you have the source for the Voice application to make some sort of hook ?
When you say ISDN, are you talking specifically PRI ?

--
Gordon Hamm
Voice Data Systems Inc.

: stang...@aol.com (Stangate) wrote:
>I need a work-around which
>checks the amount of free memory

You need to debug your code.

http://www.nidlink.com/~astoyanov/index.htm

--
Stefan Hoffmeister    (http://www.econos.de/)
No private email, please, unless expressly invited.

Re:Aged Delph Programmer needs help on Win 32 API

> Any suggestions or code skeletons would  be greatly appreciated.

You might try Numega boundschecker to see if you can find the leak...

--
Grace + Peace | Peter N Roth | Engineering Objects Int'l
Amazon.com associate | Inprise Tool & Component Builder

http://www.inconresearch.com/eoi

Stangate wrote:

> I have a proprietary voice processing run-time environment running on Windows
> NT continuously 24 hours a day.   A Delphi 3 program interacts with the voice
> processing sub-system.  Unfortunately there is a memory leak of a few kb every
> time the voice processing system  answers a call on the 2 mb ISDN circuit.
> In time the system crashes ( it doesn't try paging memory) which in turn makes
> the ISDN link fail, requiring the TELCO to manually reset the line - usually at
> when I am asleep on the early morning!!

> Thats the problem.   At present I have to get the operator to watch the memory
> usage using task manager and manuall stop and restart the vp application every
> few hours.

There is a link to a memory leakage detector program in the
TP-links, chapter "windows" and/or page Delphi.
:-) Franz Glaser

Re:Aged Delph Programmer needs help on Win 32 API

Hi Peter,

Stangate wrote:
> At 57 I just can't keep up with learning new techniques

I have that too and I am only 29. I wished that worldwide all
developers would take some time off - say two years - so I could catch up.

> Peter Yellow
> London UK

Cheers ,
Ruben

nebuR wrote:
> I have that too and I am only 29. I wished that worldwide all
> developers would take some time off - say two years - so I could catch up.

<obvious flame bait>

That's an excellent idea! If developers all spent two years, in which
they refrained from writing more trashy code, reinventing the wheel,
hacking away at a project that was never gonna get released, and then
spent a 2 year sabbatical learning how everyone had done things, and how
everyone else had solved various problems (and perhaps did part of a
computer science PhD into the bargain), then just imagine how much
better they would write code afterwards,

</obvious flame bait>

--
Martin Harvey.
Totally rewritten web pages at:

"ALGOL 60 was a language so far ahead of its time that it
was not only an improvement on its predecessors but also
on nearly all its successors". C.A.R. Hoare

You think my sig is long? Just you wait until I attach a
uuencoded wav of Mahler II to it...

Re:Aged Delph Programmer needs help on Win 32 API

In article <36A9E654.D03C5...@aziraphale.demon.co.uk>, Martin Harvey

<mar...@aziraphale.demon.co.uk> writes:
>That's an excellent idea! If developers all spent two years, in which
>they refrained from writing more trashy code, reinventing the wheel,
>hacking away at a project that was never gonna get released, and then
>spent a 2 year sabbatical learning how everyone had done things, and how
>everyone else had solved various problems (and perhaps did part of a
>computer science PhD into the bargain), then just imagine how much
>better they would write code afterwards,

You're suggesting that people become real engineers rather than just
technicians - what a revolutionary concept <g> - but it'll never catch on.

My father, who was a mechanical design engineer, said that a good design
engineer attained two goals - "to simplify and add lightness" and "to make for
10 shillings what anyone else could make for five pounds". Transposing that
from mechanics to software, I guess that's still true.

Alan Lloyd
alangll...@aol.com
68 years and still learning

Re:Aged Delph Programmer needs help on Win 32 API

You replied..

"You need to debug your code."

You miss the point, that the memory leak is in the proprietary software - not
mine.

If you regularly send such helpful messages, no wonder you don't want any
private E-Mail in response.

Re:Aged Delph Programmer needs help on Win 32 API

: stang...@aol.com (Stangate) wrote:
>You miss the point, that the memory leak is in the proprietary software - not
>mine.

Where did you say that it was the **3rd party** that was leaking?

From your posting:

>A Delphi 3 program interacts with the voice
>processing sub-system.  Unfortunately there is a memory leak of a few kb every
>time the voice processing system  answers a call on the 2 mb ISDN circuit.

--
Stefan Hoffmeister    (http://www.econos.de/)
No private email, please, unless expressly invited.

Re:Aged Delph Programmer needs help on Win 32 API

My message read

I have a proprietary voice processing run-time environment running on
Windows..... there is a memory leak of a few kb every
time the voice processing system  answers a call .... manuall stop and restart
the vp application everyfew hours.....Until I change the vp application
environment, I need a work-around .....

It seems clear to me and I really wouldn't bother the group with a vague
undefined request re a memory leak on my own code - but I apologise if I
over-reacted to you message

Re:Aged Delph Programmer needs help on Win 32 API

Not to add fuel to the fire, but I must say that I was also thinking that
the memory leak was in your code...

when you are talking to a bunch of programmers, and you say someting like:

> I have a proprietary voice processing run-time environment running on

You have to assume that many will read it as:

> I have written a proprietary...

Just a thought.

On 23 Jan 1999 21:16:40 GMT, alangll...@aol.com (AlanGLLoyd) wrote:

>You're suggesting that people become real engineers rather than just
>technicians - what a revolutionary concept <g> - but it'll never catch on.

>My father, who was a mechanical design engineer, said that a good design
>engineer attained two goals - "to simplify and add lightness" and "to make for
>10 shillings what anyone else could make for five pounds". Transposing that
>from mechanics to software, I guess that's still true.

That's true of a good software engineer, but as you say, it'll never
catch on. Instead, the market forces call for good marketing engineers,
where the goal is to sell for five pounds whatever junk you can create
for 10 shillings.

Just look at how Micro$oft boasts about the size and complexity of
Windows 1900. Engineers know that anything with 50 million lines of code
is guaranteed to fail, but naive customers, reporters, and managers
regard the size as an impressive monument, worthy of worship and awe.
--
Ray Lischner  (http://www.bardware.com)
co-author (with John Doyle) of Shakespeare for Dummies

Ray Lischner wrote:

> Just look at how Micro$oft boasts about the size and complexity of
> Windows 1900. Engineers know that anything with 50 million lines of code
> is guaranteed to fail, but naive customers, reporters, and managers
> regard the size as an impressive monument, worthy of worship and awe.

I was always told that every line of code is a liability not an asset.
The real secret is in maximising the functionality :LOC ratio. M$ seems
to spend far too much time writing lines of code that most users never
use anyway... the attendant increase in complexity of the programming
model thus makes bugs more likely.

MH.

--
Martin Harvey.

In article <36ABBFE8.B6DF...@aziraphale.demon.co.uk>, Martin Harvey

<mar...@aziraphale.demon.co.uk> writes:
>I was always told that every line of code is a liability not an asset.
>The real secret is in maximising the functionality :LOC ratio.

That's true in general, but don't forget the readability factor (for
maintenance). I sometimes write five LOC where one would be rather obscure. And
with the computing / compiler-optimising power available now, one is not paying
so much for code clarity.

OTOH I suppose readability _is_ part of the functionality. <g>

Alan Lloyd
alangll...@aol.com

Go to page: [1] [2]

Other Threads