Lousy Palette - help, help, help, help, help...

Vinson ABS wrote:

> To game programmers who always has something to say,
>    how do you create a good palette for any games and graphics?

> My current approach is dividing RGB primaries into 6 shades.
> Technically, it works but the colors shift is obvious. I don't want to
> remap palette, cause I need fixed palette for anti-aliasing and shading.

> I've search the Net for solutions but in vain. I'd switched to 32K
> colors but it's too slow. The current alternative is to use another
> color model, like YUV. My plan is to use 16 hue and 16 levels. I suppose
> this might work. I need the balance between hue and levels so that color
> degradation would be so obvious.

> What is your plan like?

> I welcome suggestions and comments. Thank you.

> >From The Butcher.

I understand your problem but I guess there's no fixed solution for
this. The 6-shades-solution gives rather {*word*193} results most of the time
and I can't think of any better overall system either.
I think you'll have to create a palette that fits to your application
and its design. Most of the time you use a few colors in several shades
and some colors more like 'primaries'. I often choose one or two 'basic'
colors in 32 shades (which is very acceptable) and them some 8 or 10
colors in 16 shades (or 8 for some) which leaves you room for the odds
and ends you also need. This may sound a little flimsy but works fine.
Even better yet: imagine you had to do everything with only 16 colors!
You wouldn't believe what great results you can get if you balance your
design and your palette (I've had to do this quite often, just look at
my Denomino-demo).

Remco de Korte
Soft Machine
Nederland
http://www.xs4all.nl/~remcodek/download.html

Re:Lousy Palette - help, help, help, help, help...

Other Threads