VBs resource management better than Delphi's ?

I am currently comparing Delphi vs VB. So I created a testprogram,
trying to test the behaviour of MDI childs. When I ran Delphi, I got
an "out of resources" exception on 11 open MDI childs. VB can open 35
childs.
Is VBs resource management better than Delphi's ? Another test with
Gupta SQLWindows led to the same result. Gupta was able to open 30 or
40 of those child windows.

Any Idea ?

-------------------
Thorsten Suhr
thorsten.s...@hamburg.netsurf.de
http:/ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/tsuhr
-------------------

Re:VBs resource management better than Delphi's ?

In article <4ei0vn$...@trance.isys.net>,

thorsten.s...@hamburg.netsurf.de (Thorsten Suhr) wrote:
>trying to test the behaviour of MDI childs. When I ran Delphi, I got
>an "out of resources" exception on 11 open MDI childs. VB can open 35

Was the Delphi IDE running when you tested this?

--
=\
 *=- R.Moberg, CD-Player Pro info @ http://www.sn.no/~mobergru/

Thorsten Suhr wrote:

I am currently comparing Delphi vs VB. So I created a testprogram,
trying to test the behaviour of MDI childs. When I ran Delphi, I got
an "out of resources" exception on 11 open MDI childs. VB can open 35
childs.
Is VBs resource management better than Delphi's ? Another test with
Gupta SQLWindows led to the same result. Gupta was able to open 30 or
40 of those child windows.

Any Idea ?

Well I do not have any Idea, but I do have a question.

How did you get 11 MDI childs?

With my Bitmap viewer program, I am only getting about 5 MDI
childs before the "out of resources" message.

And this happens even if the previous MDI child windows are
closed ?????????

easChar...@eas.gu.edu.au wrote:
>Thorsten Suhr wrote:
>I am currently comparing Delphi vs VB. So I created a testprogram,
>trying to test the behaviour of MDI childs. When I ran Delphi, I got
>an "out of resources" exception on 11 open MDI childs. VB can open 35
>childs.
>Is VBs resource management better than Delphi's ? Another test with
>Gupta SQLWindows led to the same result. Gupta was able to open 30 or
>40 of those child windows.
>Any Idea ?
>Well I do not have any Idea, but I do have a question.
>How did you get 11 MDI childs?
>With my Bitmap viewer program, I am only getting about 5 MDI
>childs before the "out of resources" message.
>And this happens even if the previous MDI child windows are
>closed ?????????

It probably depends on what you are running and what you have for
memory.  Are you running Windows 3.x or Windows 95?

The application I'm working on, I stopped opening windows after 46,
since I was getting tired of clicking :-).

I'm running Win95, on a Pentium 90, with 16MB of RAM.  With 46 windows
open (MDI Children), I still had 73% system resources left.

It may also depend on what else you are doing when you create an MDI
child.  Are you creating other objects that may take system resources?
Brien King
bk...@primenet.com

Other Threads