Board index » delphi » Performance Degradation

Performance Degradation

Folks

I have a process that moves through about 400,000 records and inserts
records into another table after parsing out a field in the source table. My
problem is the process slows down over time going about 90% slower at the
end of the process compared to the process at the beggining.

The source data is readonly with forward only cursor.

Any clues as to what I should look at would be helpful.

Jeff

 

Re:Performance Degradation


I have a similar problem too, Could anyone help us?

Gavin

Quote
"Jeff Wright" <jeffwri...@nospam.bigpond.com> wrote in message

news:3b130b6a_1@dnews...
Quote
> Folks

> I have a process that moves through about 400,000 records and inserts
> records into another table after parsing out a field in the source table.
My
> problem is the process slows down over time going about 90% slower at the
> end of the process compared to the process at the beggining.

> The source data is readonly with forward only cursor.

> Any clues as to what I should look at would be helpful.

> Jeff

Re:Performance Degradation


Has anyone considered using stored procedures? It sure seems like a task for
server-side process.

rb

Re:Performance Degradation


The update for my process uses a stored procedure. Its not that that slows
it down its just moving through the recordset. If I take out the code that
performs the insert it still slows down.

Quote
"rb" <r...@killspam-videotron.ca> wrote in message news:3b147759$1_1@dnews...

> Has anyone considered using stored procedures? It sure seems like a task
for
> server-side process.

> rb

Re:Performance Degradation


Quote
"Jeff Wright" <jeffwri...@nospam.bigpond.com> wrote in message

news:3b14ea84_1@dnews...

Quote
> The update for my process uses a stored procedure. Its not that that slows
> it down its just moving through the recordset. If I take out the code that
> performs the insert it still slows down.

I thought you could move all of you code to a stored procedure and use
server cursors instead of ADO dataset.

re your question - ADODataSet.CursorLocation setting can make a difference
if set to client or server. On the other hand, your problem really sounds
like a memory leak. Could easily be O/S.

rb

Re:Performance Degradation


Are you doing all the updates inside one transaction? If so, that could
account for it. Try committing every few thousand rows or so.

Jamie

Quote
"Gavin Lai" <gavin....@tradelink.com.hk> wrote in message

news:3b14729b_2@dnews...
Quote
> I have a similar problem too, Could anyone help us?

> Gavin

> "Jeff Wright" <jeffwri...@nospam.bigpond.com> wrote in message
> news:3b130b6a_1@dnews...
> > Folks

> > I have a process that moves through about 400,000 records and inserts
> > records into another table after parsing out a field in the source
table.
> My
> > problem is the process slows down over time going about 90% slower at
the
> > end of the process compared to the process at the beggining.

> > The source data is readonly with forward only cursor.

> > Any clues as to what I should look at would be helpful.

> > Jeff

Other Threads