Sybase ASE 11.5 <-> MS SQL 6.5

I have a D3 app that must operate with either MS SQL 6.5 or Sybase ASE
11.5.  It works just fine with MS SQL but has problems with Sybase using
the Sybase ODBC driver and BDE 4.51.  In one instance, the program starts a
transaction, inserts an entry into a table (with 90 fields) successfully,
and then opens a query on another table.  The open fails with 'Invalid
Table Name'.  But if I commit the transaction and start another one before
the query, everything appears to work.  The problem is not isolated to a
single table.  Does anyone have a clue to whats wrong?  Would the SQL Links
driver work any better?  All suggestions greatly appreciated.
--
Tom