Board index » delphi » SQL Anywhere or Interbase - commercial application-some Internet

SQL Anywhere or Interbase - commercial application-some Internet

Which one is better for multiuser application with possibility of
connecting it to Internet for On-line reservation system (a lot of
pictures stored) Any experiences? What is the advantage of one over
the other? Can anyone give me some major points?

Can Interbase replicate?

Thanks Paul

 

Re:SQL Anywhere or Interbase - commercial application-some Internet


ForteTech <350ad5ae.1204...@forums.borland.com>...

Quote
> Which one is better for multiuser application with possibility of
> connecting it to Internet for On-line reservation system (a lot of
> pictures stored) Any experiences? What is the advantage of one over
> the other? Can anyone give me some major points?

> Can Interbase replicate?

We have been writting applications with Delphi 2.0 and SQL Anywhere since
more than one year and I can tell you that it works fine if you have
installed the BDE version 4.0 with ODBC 3.0 and SQL Anywhere version
5.5.0.3 or later. The only problem that you may encounter is the limit of
32k in Blob fields (Note: this bug have been corrected in SQL Anywhere
5.5.0.4).
Interbase is slower than SQL Anywhere and lacks of replication (There are
some scripts for the UNIX version that simulate replication but seems to be
a patch). On the other side replication in SQL Anywhere is very well
integrated and works fine.

Re:SQL Anywhere or Interbase - commercial application-some Internet


Quote
> I would have to say Interbase is the clear choice.
> We purchased SQL Anywhere professional about 8 months ago and at that
> time we have experienced a problem with the data-aware components are
> not getting updated when you insert a new record.  The only way I've
> gotten it to work half way decent is to use CachedUpdates and even
> then when you apply the updates the data disappeares from the
> data-aware component.  Complete bull-s--t.  So effectively you have to
> close and open the dataset to properly display your new record.  Oh by
> the way be sure and have a bookmark set first (that's if you want to
> get back to the record you just inserted).

I just recently loaded 5.5.04 and the same old s--t exists.

Greg Stroud
Certified Delphi C/S Developer

Re:SQL Anywhere or Interbase - commercial application-some Internet


Daniel Stroud wrote on article <350B4368.AB93...@arn.net>...

Quote
> > We purchased SQL Anywhere professional about 8 months ago and at that
> > time we have experienced a problem with the data-aware components are
> > not getting updated when you insert a new record.  The only way I've
> > gotten it to work half way decent is to use CachedUpdates and even
> > then when you apply the updates the data disappeares from the
> > data-aware component.  Complete bull-s--t.  So effectively you have to
> > close and open the dataset to properly display your new record.  Oh by
> > the way be sure and have a bookmark set first (that's if you want to
> > get back to the record you just inserted).

That problem appears with the ODBC connection with any database when you
insert a record in the database
and that record gets default field values assigned by the database (for
exmaple aa authomatically generated Id) the BDE cannot find the record when
it is inserted since it uses the key value to find the record and that key
value is assigned after the record is inserted by the BDE.

P.D.: If you assign all the field values of the dataset from delphi
everything goes fine.

Christen.

Re:SQL Anywhere or Interbase - commercial application-some Internet


Quote
Christen Blom Dahl wrote in message <01bd5000$0043b020$2c8e39c3@christen>...

>That problem appears with the ODBC connection with any database when you
>insert a record in the database
>and that record gets default field values assigned by the database (for
>exmaple aa authomatically generated Id) the BDE cannot find the record when
>it is inserted since it uses the key value to find the record and that key
>value is assigned after the record is inserted by the BDE.

>P.D.: If you assign all the field values of the dataset from delphi
>everything goes fine.

>Christen.

It really only affects us when inserting against a table with an autoinc key
field... the solution we use is after posting to go to the end of the
dataset (Dataset.Last), which picks up the record just fine.

Joel Hammond-Turner
IT Manager, Arthema Ltd
email: j...@arthema.com
web: http://www.arthema.com

Re:SQL Anywhere or Interbase - commercial application-some Internet


Quote
Joel Hammond-Turner wrote:
> Christen Blom Dahl wrote in message <01bd5000$0043b020$2c8e39c3@christen>...

> >That problem appears with the ODBC connection with any database when you
> >insert a record in the database
> >and that record gets default field values assigned by the database (for
> >exmaple aa authomatically generated Id) the BDE cannot find the record when
> >it is inserted since it uses the key value to find the record and that key
> >value is assigned after the record is inserted by the BDE.

> >P.D.: If you assign all the field values of the dataset from delphi
> >everything goes fine.

> >Christen.

> It really only affects us when inserting against a table with an autoinc key
> field... the solution we use is after posting to go to the end of the
> dataset (Dataset.Last), which picks up the record just fine.

I've tried surfacing the TFields, Dataset.Last.  None of this works for me.
Also if you have to make assignment directly to the TFields through Delphi I
feel your defeating the purpose of Data-aware components.  To me its just
doesn't make sence to use SQL Anywhere, unless I'm just missing something here.

Greg Stroud

Re:SQL Anywhere or Interbase - commercial application-some Internet


Quote
>To me its just
>doesn't make sence to use SQL Anywhere, unless I'm just missing something here.

Lot's of us are happy using it with www.odbcexpress.com .

Doesnt' make sense to put another level beyond the odbc/vcl level to
me.

Re:SQL Anywhere or Interbase - commercial application-some Internet


Greg

Quote
> I just recently loaded 5.5.04 and the same old s--t exists.

5.5.04 has fixed the 32K BLOB size problem.  If however, you're talking
about refreshing a dataset which has had changes made to it, yes you do
have to close and then re-open the query.  This is true of ALL C/S
databases.

You quote yourself as a "Certified Delphi C/S Developer" and I would
expect you to have known this.  Or have I misinterpreted your message?

Derek Davidson
Get a FREE copy of DK's Audit Components for Delphi from my web site:
http://freespace.{*word*269}.net/d.davidson
Now Includes INFOPOWER Derived components and a demo

(Remove the x to EMail me : der...@mksoft.com)

Re:SQL Anywhere or Interbase - commercial application-some Internet


Can you give me an example of this? We're using SQL Anywhere as well and
don't have this problem.

Juan

Quote
Daniel Stroud wrote in message <350B4368.AB93...@arn.net>...

>> I would have to say Interbase is the clear choice.

>> We purchased SQL Anywhere professional about 8 months ago and at that
>> time we have experienced a problem with the data-aware components are
>> not getting updated when you insert a new record.  The only way I've
>> gotten it to work half way decent is to use CachedUpdates and even
>> then when you apply the updates the data disappeares from the
>> data-aware component.  Complete bull-s--t.  So effectively you have to
>> close and open the dataset to properly display your new record.  Oh by
>> the way be sure and have a bookmark set first (that's if you want to
>> get back to the record you just inserted).

>I just recently loaded 5.5.04 and the same old s--t exists.

>Greg Stroud
>Certified Delphi C/S Developer

Re:SQL Anywhere or Interbase - commercial application-some Internet


Quote
> I've written applications for Sybase System 10, Oracle 7 and have not
> experienced the same problem I'm getting with SQL Anywhere. So tell me!

Greg StroudBorland Delphi C/S Certified

Re:SQL Anywhere or Interbase - commercial application-some Internet


OK!!!! OK!! So what is the answer to the main discussion??? I guess
that's for another thread....

Thank you

On Tue, 17 Mar 1998 20:21:22 -0400, "Juan Jimenez (TeamB)"

Quote
<jjime...@caribe.net> wrote:
>Can you give me an example of this? We're using SQL Anywhere as well and
>don't have this problem.

>Juan

>Daniel Stroud wrote in message <350B4368.AB93...@arn.net>...

>>> I would have to say Interbase is the clear choice.

>>> We purchased SQL Anywhere professional about 8 months ago and at that
>>> time we have experienced a problem with the data-aware components are
>>> not getting updated when you insert a new record.  The only way I've
>>> gotten it to work half way decent is to use CachedUpdates and even
>>> then when you apply the updates the data disappeares from the
>>> data-aware component.  Complete bull-s--t.  So effectively you have to
>>> close and open the dataset to properly display your new record.  Oh by
>>> the way be sure and have a bookmark set first (that's if you want to
>>> get back to the record you just inserted).

>>I just recently loaded 5.5.04 and the same old s--t exists.

>>Greg Stroud
>>Certified Delphi C/S Developer

Re:SQL Anywhere or Interbase - commercial application-some Internet


Quote
Juan Jimenez (TeamB) wrote:
> Can you give me an example of this? We're using SQL Anywhere as well and
> don't have this problem.

> Juan

Juan,
Sure.  When I got my latest copy of SQLA I ran a simple test to determine if
they fixed the refresh problem.
For example I used the existing alias that comes with the demo database.
Randomly picked a table.  For my example I picked the Department Table.
Placed a DataSet,DataSource and a DBGrid on the form and link them. Open the
Dataset and ran the application.  I arrowed down until I appended the table.
Now heres the weird part, when I posted the record it (the new record)
replaced the first record of the table in the DBGrid.  In effect I lost the
first record of the table and it didn't matter if I did a last or first.
Nothing helped.

Now I do have to tell you, this test was performed on a Delphi 2.0
development machine with version 4.51 for the BDE.  I have not tested SQLA
5.5.4 on a Delphi 3 machine.

The only way to get it back was to close and open the table.  Which according
to another gentlemen that's standard protocol.  To me that not expectable.  I
mean talk about unnecessary network traffic.

Juan, I would appreciate any help you could shed on this problem.  Personally
I really like SQLA and felt like I'm just missing something.  If  you could
help me with this long time problem I sure would appreciate it.

Greg Stroud
Borland Delphi C/S Certified

Re:SQL Anywhere or Interbase - commercial application-some Internet


Greg

Quote
> Greg Stroud
> Borland Delphi C/S Certified

I'm really not trying to start a war here or anything and I'm genuinely
interested to know.  Could you tell me who certified you for Borland
Delphi C/S and what as?

Derek Davidson
Get a FREE copy of DK's Audit Components for Delphi from my web site:
http://freespace.{*word*269}.net/d.davidson
Now Includes INFOPOWER Derived components and a demo

(Remove the x to EMail me : der...@mksoft.com)

Re:SQL Anywhere or Interbase - commercial application-some Internet


Dan, I am using Delphi 3.02 and BDE 4.51 with SQLA 5.5.3. I am not seeing
this behaviour you are describing in our application.

Quote
Daniel Stroud wrote in message <350FE0E1.89A57...@arn.net>...

>Juan Jimenez (TeamB) wrote:

>> Can you give me an example of this? We're using SQL Anywhere as well and
>> don't have this problem.

>> Juan

>Juan,
>Sure.  When I got my latest copy of SQLA I ran a simple test to determine
if
>they fixed the refresh problem.
>For example I used the existing alias that comes with the demo database.
>Randomly picked a table.  For my example I picked the Department Table.
>Placed a DataSet,DataSource and a DBGrid on the form and link them. Open
the
>Dataset and ran the application.  I arrowed down until I appended the
table.
>Now heres the weird part, when I posted the record it (the new record)
>replaced the first record of the table in the DBGrid.  In effect I lost the
>first record of the table and it didn't matter if I did a last or first.
>Nothing helped.

>Now I do have to tell you, this test was performed on a Delphi 2.0
>development machine with version 4.51 for the BDE.  I have not tested SQLA
>5.5.4 on a Delphi 3 machine.

>The only way to get it back was to close and open the table.  Which
according
>to another gentlemen that's standard protocol.  To me that not expectable.
I
>mean talk about unnecessary network traffic.

>Juan, I would appreciate any help you could shed on this problem.
Personally
>I really like SQLA and felt like I'm just missing something.  If  you could
>help me with this long time problem I sure would appreciate it.

>Greg Stroud
>Borland Delphi C/S Certified

Re:SQL Anywhere or Interbase - commercial application-some Internet


Borland offers Delphi certification based on tests. There are study guides
in the Borland web site, and the tests can be taken at testing centers
across the US. You can also attend classes at Borland and get certifications
as a developer, trainer, etc.

Juan

Go to page: [1] [2]

Other Threads