Client/Server application with the normal Delphi pack?

How can I write Client Server Applications without using the
CLIENT/SERVER DELPHI ? Is it possible ?

Thanks in advance.

Re:Client/Server application with the normal Delphi pack?

In article <4s6ati$...@news.flashnet.it>, long...@mi2.flashnet.it (Pierluigi Longoni) wrote:
>How can I write Client Server Applications without using the
>CLIENT/SERVER DELPHI ? Is it possible ?

>Thanks in advance.

I'm running Delphi/Developer against MS SQL Server using ODBC.  I haven't had
any unusual problems, and everything seems ok, but there may be performance
issues. Right now it's just me and my two machines.

I'm sure there are others who may be able to compare the ODBC connection to
the SQL links connection.

Fred

Re:Client/Server application with the normal Delphi pack?

The definition (it gets fuzzier every day) of client-server, is that
database processing is split between one or more server components, and a
client component.  They can reside on seperate computers, or on the same
computer (as seperate processes).  This allows data integrity, querying,
etc to be performed on a system optimized for those functions (an SQL
server, for example), and only the display of the data (the interface) to
be handled by the client system.

Client/Server edition pretty much only gives you the SQL Links, a
redistributable Interbase Server two-user license, and a few other bells
and whistles.
There is nothing in Borland's license agreement which prevents you from
using Delphi Developer with ODBC to create Client/Server applications.  I
am not sure about the Desktop version.

<4s6ati$...@news.flashnet.it>...
> How can I write Client Server Applications without using the
> CLIENT/SERVER DELPHI ? Is it possible ?

> Thanks in advance.

Re:Client/Server application with the normal Delphi pack?

> I am not sure about the Desktop version.

It doesn't include the BDE so you don't get the extra database components
in the Developer edition.

Other Threads