Text not visible in TMemo or TRichEdit

I am using the same technique in Delphi 3 which seemed to work in Delphi
1, using a TMemo field for a message box.  My memo field flips from
visible to invisible and back whenever I want it to, but the text
doesn't show up.  I've also tried TRichEdit and I get the same thing.
Below is the code which I'm using.  Debugging reveals that it's stepping
through each of the statements, and the variable "SayWhat" has the right
text in it.

procedure MemoMessage(SayWhat: String);
begin
     frmMatVerQryz.richeditMsg.Lines.clear;
     frmMatVerQryz.richeditMsg.Lines.add(SayWhat);
     frmMatVerQryz.richeditMsg.Lines.Add('');
     frmMatVerQryz.richeditMsg.visible := True;
end;

I'm running Windows 95 with 48M RAM on a P5-150.

What am I overlooking?

                                Thank you,
                                Mike

My opinions are my own and are not necesarilly shared by my employer.