What's better: DCOM or Windows Sockets?!

Hi all!

Any thoughts on the subject are appreciated!
Also some details regarding the opinion!
Any articles about this issue?! (didn't find any until now)

TIA
Mario

Re:What's better: DCOM or Windows Sockets?!

In my personal opinion .. the answer in most cases is simple ... for most
business practices, DCOM is the way to go .. for communication oriented
applications (multiplayer games and the like) -- Sockets is likely your best
bet ...  the main reason I say this is out of experience in developing
socket applications.   I've written tons, and they all boil down to the same
nuts and bolts .. there must be an established protocol in which you
communicate back and forth ... period.  DCOM provides that infrastructure
for you .. it's inherant in setting up your objects.

Plus writing a server can be cumbersome at times ... and with COM, all the
server leg work is done for you which is really nice.

These are just my opinions however, the best way to really answer that .. is
to test both out yourself .. and determine which is better suited for your
problem at hand.

Michael A. Allen

"Mario" <m.dam...@gantner.com> wrote in message

> Hi all!

> Any thoughts on the subject are appreciated!
> Also some details regarding the opinion!
> Any articles about this issue?! (didn't find any until now)

> TIA
> Mario

Re:What's better: DCOM or Windows Sockets?!

Thanks for your answer Michael!

I was asking this because I have to develop an application
composed from a windows service and a configuration tool!
I don't know what's the best method for communication
between these two!
I saw that if I have a service with a COM object inside,
I cannot connect to it when there is no user logged in!
With sockets there are no problems like this.

TIA
Mario

"Michael A. Allen" <groove...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> In my personal opinion .. the answer in most cases is simple ... for most
> business practices, DCOM is the way to go .. for communication oriented
> applications (multiplayer games and the like) -- Sockets is likely your
best
> bet ...  the main reason I say this is out of experience in developing
> socket applications.   I've written tons, and they all boil down to the
same
> nuts and bolts .. there must be an established protocol in which you
> communicate back and forth ... period.  DCOM provides that infrastructure
> for you .. it's inherant in setting up your objects.

> Plus writing a server can be cumbersome at times ... and with COM, all the
> server leg work is done for you which is really nice.

> These are just my opinions however, the best way to really answer that ..
is
> to test both out yourself .. and determine which is better suited for your
> problem at hand.

> Michael A. Allen

> "Mario" <m.dam...@gantner.com> wrote in message
> > Hi all!

> > Any thoughts on the subject are appreciated!
> > Also some details regarding the opinion!
> > Any articles about this issue?! (didn't find any until now)

> > TIA
> > Mario

Re:What's better: DCOM or Windows Sockets?!

Have you considered "MidWare"? It is ideal for this purpose.

--
Arthur Hoornweg.

Please remove the ".net" from my e-mail address.
I had to take this unpleasant measure to fend off unsollicited mail.

Other Threads