connect to SQL Server 7.0 without Microsoft Client?

Hello,

I cannot create a connection to a SQL Server 7.0 Database using BDE 5.0 and
the Novell Client.

If I install the Microsoft Client I can make the connection the the SQL
Server 7.0 Database.

I am running Windows 95 with Microsoft SQL Server 7.0.  Are there any
reasons why the BDE would require the Microsoft Client to connect to SQL
Server.

Thanks,

Michael

Re:connect to SQL Server 7.0 without Microsoft Client?

On Tue, 22 May 2001 17:10:56 -0400, "Michael Stoler"

<msto...@bdsdatabase.com> wrote:
>I am running Windows 95 with Microsoft SQL Server 7.0.  Are there any
>reasons why the BDE would require the Microsoft Client to connect to SQL
>Server.

In order to connect to an MS SQL Server,  you need some connection files
from MS.  In the recent past I have had varying amounts of success
installing the more recent MS ODBC drivers,  and using their "netlib"
configuration options to set the connection information without installing
the MS SQL Server client software...

Jerry Bloomfield (TeamB)
--
http://www.teamb.com                                      JersW...@wwa.com
Please do *NOT* send private e-mail without prior permission (my anti-spam

Re:connect to SQL Server 7.0 without Microsoft Client?

Hello,

I still cannot connect to SQL Server without the Microsoft Client.

I receive error 13059.

Please help!

Michael Stoler wrote:
> Hello,

> I cannot create a connection to a SQL Server 7.0 Database using BDE 5.0 and
> the Novell Client.

> If I install the Microsoft Client I can make the connection the the SQL
> Server 7.0 Database.

> I am running Windows 95 with Microsoft SQL Server 7.0.  Are there any
> reasons why the BDE would require the Microsoft Client to connect to SQL
> Server.

Sql Server runs on NT/2000, not Novell.  The Novell client only connects to
Novell servers.  The Microsoft client connects to NT/2000 servers. QED.

John Pierce

Re:connect to SQL Server 7.0 without Microsoft Client?

On Wed, 23 May 2001 12:20:54 -0400, "Michael Stoler"

<msto...@bdsdatabase.com> wrote:
>I still cannot connect to SQL Server without the Microsoft Client.

You either need to install the Microsoft client for SQL Server,  and
configure your netlib to use an available protocol to you (IPX or TCP/IP)
or you need to install the Microsoft client for networking and use the
default named pipes "protocol" for communicating with the MS SQL Server.

Jerry Bloomfield (TeamB)
--
http://www.teamb.com                                      JersW...@wwa.com
Please do *NOT* send private e-mail without prior permission (my anti-spam
filters will probably just delete it anyway <g>)

Other Threads