I want Delphi but I can not

I like Delphi, I am new on Delphi but I know it is good. We have a lot
of DOS databases need to be transferred to Windows version. The
problem is my supervisor does not like Delphi (I do not know why!)
even though she does not know anything about it. She wants us to use
Visual Basic. She did not write any program for more than 7 years. To
learn the language that you do not like it is painful. Is there anyone
having good database samples written on Delphi that I can show my
supervisor. May be she will change her mind.

Appreciate your help

Re:I want Delphi but I can not

There R none so blind as those that will see nothing but Microsoft

Re:I want Delphi but I can not

 bsand...@muccmail.missouri.edu wrote in article <5knd0q$109...@news.missour
i.edu>...

>I like Delphi, I am new on Delphi but I know it is good. We have a lot
>of DOS databases need to be transferred to Windows version. The
>problem is my supervisor does not like Delphi (I do not know why!)
>even though she does not know anything about it. She wants us to use
>Visual Basic. She did not write any program for more than 7 years. To
>learn the language that you do not like it is painful. Is there anyone
>having good database samples written on Delphi that I can show my
>supervisor. May be she will change her mind.

>Appreciate your help

You're supervisor is afraid because she dosn't now anything about
Delphi/Pascal and dosn't want to be in a position where you know more than
she does.
One benefit that Delphi has over VB is that Delphi is a compiler and
generates stand alone EXE files, you dont need a runtime interpreter which
I believe you do with VB, this makes appliacations run a lot faster with
Delphi, if speed is an issue, that might just swing it for you.

Tony Keeble
cr...@enterprise.net

Re:I want Delphi but I can not

IH101 <ih...@aol.com> wrote in article
<19970508041001.AAA10...@ladder01.news.aol.com>...

> There R none so blind as those that will see nothing but Microsoft

The problem is, Microsoft is getting so big, it's getting harder to see
around it...

Re:I want Delphi but I can not

crest wrote:

>  bsand...@muccmail.missouri.edu wrote in article <5knd0q$109...@news.missour
> i.edu>...

> >I like Delphi, I am new on Delphi but I know it is good. We have a lot
> >of DOS databases need to be transferred to Windows version. The
> >problem is my supervisor does not like Delphi (I do not know why!)
> >even though she does not know anything about it. She wants us to use
> >Visual Basic. She did not write any program for more than 7 years. To
> >learn the language that you do not like it is painful. Is there anyone
> >having good database samples written on Delphi that I can show my
> >supervisor. May be she will change her mind.

> >Appreciate your help

{*word*76}y women.

Delphi Rules...tell her that!

Re:I want Delphi but I can not

: problem is my supervisor does not like Delphi (I do not know why!)
Tell her real programmers use compilers not interpretters.

Re:I want Delphi but I can not

JP wrote:

> crest wrote:

> >  bsand...@muccmail.missouri.edu wrote in article <5knd0q$109...@news.missour
> > i.edu>...

> > >I like Delphi, I am new on Delphi but I know it is good. We have a

> {*word*76}y women.

> Delphi Rules...tell her that!

Yeah, that sentence is sure to win the argument.

I'd recommend getting the product comparisons to show an intelligent
argument...but that's just me.

--
Windows feeds my body.  Linux feeds my soul.
All opinions expressed are mine.

Re:I want Delphi but I can not

bsand...@muccmail.missouri.edu wrote:

> I like Delphi, I am new on Delphi but I know it is good. We have a lot
> of DOS databases need to be transferred to Windows version. The
> problem is my supervisor does not like Delphi (I do not know why!)
> even though she does not know anything about it. She wants us to use
> Visual Basic. She did not write any program for more than 7 years. To
> learn the language that you do not like it is painful. Is there anyone
> having good database samples written on Delphi that I can show my
> supervisor. May be she will change her mind.

> Appreciate your help

Sounds like a nightmare situation. It's easier to fly to moon or swim over
the Atlantic, than turn womans mind. At least that can't often be done by
using any sensible argumentation. "Liking" is quite immune feeling against
any rational actions.
Of course you can still try it, download for example Columbusoft's accounting,
general ledger etc. package. http://www.columbusoft.com/
But there is possibility that nobocy can help you, besides your local
dealer, who can sell you "Learn VB in 2 weeks" book.

Good luck, and greetins to your lady boss also;)

Markku Nevalainen

Re:I want Delphi but I can not

Markku Nevalainen wrote:

> bsand...@muccmail.missouri.edu wrote:

> > I like Delphi, I am new on Delphi but I know it is good. We have a lot
> > of DOS databases need to be transferred to Windows version. The
> > problem is my supervisor does not like Delphi (I do not know why!)
> > even though she does not know anything about it. She wants us to use
> > Visual Basic. She did not write any program for more than 7 years. To
> > learn the language that you do not like it is painful. Is there anyone
> > having good database samples written on Delphi that I can show my
> > supervisor. May be she will change her mind.

> > Appreciate your help

She is scared of getting into something she doesn't understand.  She
doesn't want to be the "dumb" one.
VB is really a poor choice if you want good development time, speed, and
the power to handle much more of Windows easily.  With the Component
concept, dev. time is cut WAY down.

Re:I want Delphi but I can not

I have used both tools for database development and would say that
Delphi is better in terms of speed, reusability and maintainability. Its
also a damn sight more enjoyable to write with.

Some people can't see past Bill Gates' nose.

Re:I want Delphi but I can not

On Fri, 09 May 1997 01:27:42 +0100, JP <jpears....@compapp.dcu.ie>
wrote:

>crest wrote:

>>  bsand...@muccmail.missouri.edu wrote in article <5knd0q$109...@news.missour
>> i.edu>...

>> >I like Delphi, I am new on Delphi but I know it is good. We have a lot
>> >of DOS databases need to be transferred to Windows version. The
>> >problem is my supervisor does not like Delphi (I do not know why!)
>> >even though she does not know anything about it. She wants us to use
>> >Visual Basic. She did not write any program for more than 7 years. To
>> >learn the language that you do not like it is painful. Is there anyone
>> >having good database samples written on Delphi that I can show my
>> >supervisor. May be she will change her mind.

>> >Appreciate your help

>{*word*76}y women.

>Delphi Rules...tell her that!

Have you considered  C++ Builder which the C++ version of Delphi ?

Re:I want Delphi but I can not

Now your comment about VB being a poor choice is a rather strong comment.
Delphi and VB have their strong points and their weak points.

Take for instance interacting with a MS Access database.  Which one would
you recommend then?  VB or Delphi?  VB is the best choice there.

So it depends entirely on what you are trying to do that you should base
your arguement on and your decision.

Mark Rewald

Re:I want Delphi but I can not

>Take for instance interacting with a MS Access database.  Which one would
>you recommend then?  VB or Delphi?  VB is the best choice there.

not anymore since delphi 2 it is possbile to use tools like opus
direct access to use all the delphi power against access dbs.
they implemented the full dao as pascal classes !
see their demo at www.opus.ch

Christian Kaas
Client/Server development and consulting
Fax. 49-9129-5518
Phone 49-9129-5508

Re:I want Delphi but I can not

You may want to consider trying C++ Builder then.  No one would dare
claim Basic is a better choice than C for anything :)

Eric

G. Eric Morgan                   | Common sense to an uncommon
morg...@doitnow.com              | degree.  That's what society
http://www.doitnow.com/~morgage  | calls Genius. (A. Einstein)