help!!!: BDE/ORACLE error: Vendor initialization failed

I'm trying to attach to a Oracle 7.1 Workgroup database instance from
Delphi 2.0 Client/Server by:

-placing a TTable object on the form

-picking a database alias configured to use Oracle BDE
(CCI_ORACLE_TEST)

-trying to login to Oracle when choosing a table for my TTablre
object,  I get:

'vendor initialization failed: File ORANT71.DLL. Alias
CCI_ORACLE_TEST'.

The above DLL is in my path, and Oracle seems to be working. I can hit
Oracle from SQL*DBA.

I have tried TCP/IP and TNS network protocols in my alias and BDE
driver, to no avail.

Anyone seen this??

Thanks

-Greg Felice

Re:help!!!: BDE/ORACLE error: Vendor initialization failed

Sure have seen this.  If you're running in Win95, set the Vender Init
setting in the BDE configuration for Oracle to the DLL that comes with
your Oracle version.  I'm using 7.2, so I set mine to ORA72.DLL, which
is found in my \ORAWIN95\BIN directory.  If that file is there for you
too, use it.  I think ORA73.DLL is for later versions of Oracle, but
I'm not sure about Workgroup 7.1.  But the ORANT71.DLL is a files
needed when running Oracle on an NT client.  If you're not using NT as
a client, you need the appropriate one for Win95.

Good luck,
Ed

gr...@anders.com (Greg Felice) wrote:
>I'm trying to attach to a Oracle 7.1 Workgroup database instance from
>Delphi 2.0 Client/Server by:
>-placing a TTable object on the form
>-picking a database alias configured to use Oracle BDE
>(CCI_ORACLE_TEST)
>-trying to login to Oracle when choosing a table for my TTablre
>object,  I get:
>'vendor initialization failed: File ORANT71.DLL. Alias
>CCI_ORACLE_TEST'.
>The above DLL is in my path, and Oracle seems to be working. I can hit
>Oracle from SQL*DBA.
>I have tried TCP/IP and TNS network protocols in my alias and BDE
>driver, to no avail.
>Anyone seen this??
>Thanks
>-Greg Felice

Re:help!!!: BDE/ORACLE error: Vendor initialization failed

Try changing ORANT71.DLL to ORA72.DLL in BDE Config program under
Drivers/Oracle.  A bit obscure, but it solved my problem this time last
year when I got a similar error.

L8r,

-jimo

 \ My motto: 'Being happy through living, learning, and loving.'  \
  \ Quote: 'Being wise is an effective use of intelligence in      \
   \           being happy.' -Brigetta Barone & Jim OFlaherty, Jr. \
    \                                                                \
     \ Jim O'Flaherty, Jr.        j...@sequel.com        817-577-4114 \
      \                          Hurst, Texas, USA                     \

Greg Felice <gr...@anders.com> wrote in article
<32e68e9e.1645...@nntp.noc.netcom.com>...

> I'm trying to attach to a Oracle 7.1 Workgroup database instance from
> Delphi 2.0 Client/Server by:

> -placing a TTable object on the form

> -picking a database alias configured to use Oracle BDE
> (CCI_ORACLE_TEST)

> -trying to login to Oracle when choosing a table for my TTablre
> object,  I get:

> 'vendor initialization failed: File ORANT71.DLL. Alias
> CCI_ORACLE_TEST'.

> The above DLL is in my path, and Oracle seems to be working. I can hit
> Oracle from SQL*DBA.

> I have tried TCP/IP and TNS network protocols in my alias and BDE
> driver, to no avail.

> Anyone seen this??

> Thanks

> -Greg Felice