generating or creating textures (images) at runtime, without any bmps, jpgs, gif

hi,

i am developing a full-human-life-simulating game, which needs lots of
textures (i think :))
so my question is how to generate cool bricks, grasses, waters, slime, sky,
... textures if this work

do you have seen farbrausch ? hmmm its an AWESOME directx demo in exactly
65KB (filesize)
the demo works ~10min or longer (dont know yet, forgotten). it has no
temporarly used files and generates all
at runtime, on their page is only described that all is done by runtime and
if you ask one of them excplicitly they refer to their side :(

www.farb-rausch.de

big TIA, Philipp

Re:generating or creating textures (images) at runtime, without any bmps, jpgs, gif

... and http://www.theproduct.de/

cu

Re:generating or creating textures (images) at runtime, without any bmps, jpgs, gif

SORRY :(

64kb or 65kb !?!?!?!?!!?!

DO YOU HAVE SEEN THE DEMO ?

how should they store their textures ????

can you explain that ?

cu

Re:generating or creating textures (images) at runtime, without any bmps, jpgs, gif

On Sun, 23 Sep 2001 15:22:13 +0200, "Philipp Pammler

\(www.exHausts.de\)" <pilli_wi...@gmx.de> wrote:
>how should they store their textures ????

textures:= procedural_textures * creativity * skill;

they are generated by code. A few lines of code which can generate
gigabytes of textures.

Things like the metal plates with "bumps" on them, they could have
stored a greyscale version of one bump, which would take like 16 bytes
or something, then used it when generating the pattern, and then
modulating the color using a procedural texture. Same with the
textures with "holes" in them (except there they stored alpha data).

>can you explain that ?

im more curious how they store the music samples :) anyone?

- Asbj?rn

Re:generating or creating textures (images) at runtime, without any bmps, jpgs, gif

Check 'Stash' at http://www.tbl.org It's also 64kb and from 1997.

> im more curious how they store the music samples :) anyone?

I coded the musicgenerator and made the music for 'Stash'. In delphi as a
matter of fact! :)

/Linus

Re:generating or creating textures (images) at runtime, without any bmps, jpgs, gif

> im more curious how they store the music samples :) anyone?

Just a guess... FM synthesis + Filters and Oscillators + Patterns,
and possibly stochastic music (generate random melodies based on a
set of melodic/harmonic rules, for a rough primer see
http://www.csu.edu.au/ci/vol03/mccorm/mccorm.html, requires lots
of tweaking and talent to sound good, though).

Eric Grange
http://glscene.org

Re:generating or creating textures (images) at runtime, without any bmps, jpgs, gif

On Mon, 24 Sep 2001 16:49:06 +0200, "Linus Elman" <pr...@techno.org>
wrote:

>I coded the musicgenerator and made the music for 'Stash'. In delphi as a
>matter of fact! :)

Stash! is WILD dude :)

I guess you used generated samples mainly no? Heard some talk about
someone sniffing on fractal compression and such when i split with the
scene.

- Asbj?rn

"Linus Elman" <pr...@techno.org> wrote in message news:3baf47b6$1_2@dnews...
> Check 'Stash' at http://www.tbl.org It's also 64kb and from 1997.

Linus :
Great looking page.  How do I get past it?
"Enter" doesn't do anything in either MS Explorer or Mozilla on my system.

Am I missing something,  maybe incorrectly configured options or browser
extension etc...?

Regards

Stan.

Re:generating or creating textures (images) at runtime, without any bmps, jpgs, gif

> Great looking page.  How do I get past it?
> "Enter" doesn't do anything in either MS Explorer or Mozilla on my system.
> Am I missing something,  maybe incorrectly configured options or browser
> extension etc...?

That's weird.. I don't have any problem. Anyway, the ENTER button should
point you to:

http://www.tbl.org/main.htm

/Linus

Re:generating or creating textures (images) at runtime, without any bmps, jpgs, gif

Worked fine.  Thanks.

The buttons (or links) on the main page are ok for some strange reason.

regards

Stan.

Re:generating or creating textures (images) at runtime, without any bmps, jpgs, gif

Linus :

I downloaded Soil.Avi and it's pretty cool.  I want to know if it really
only has 144 frames?

My Windows Media player is damaged so I'm using my own program to view it.

I believe that it's probably uncompressed or there's something wrong with my
player code.  (More than likely,  something wrong with my player code).

regards

Stan.

Re:generating or creating textures (images) at runtime, without any bmps, jpgs, gif

> I downloaded Soil.Avi and it's pretty cool.  I want to know if it really
> only has 144 frames?

That's most likely wrong. My guess is that the right number is more like
14.000.

I really urge you to get the 'PC-demos' though. Soil is an Amigademo made
with a 20MHz 68020 processor..
/Linus

Re:generating or creating textures (images) at runtime, without any bmps, jpgs, gif

Ok Linus,

and thanks alot.

Stan.

Re:generating or creating textures (images) at runtime, without any bmps, jpgs, gif

BTW... at http://www.pegtop.de/xfader/examples.htm you can find some
example textures, which are all calculated by XFader, and with some work
you could do this in your app in realtime, too. The base of such
textures are good color gradients. They can be defined by a few bytes:
just save the color of 3 or 4 points within the gradient, the rest can
be calculated.

If you decide to add a Perlin algorithm to your app, I recommend to do
it with integer arithmetics and create as much tables as possible. This
boosts up speed and keeps the exe small at the cost of memory space
during runtime.

Jens

Re:generating or creating textures (images) at runtime, without any bmps, jpgs, gif

> i am developing a full-human-life-simulating game, which needs lots of
> textures (i think :))
> so my question is how to generate cool bricks, grasses, waters, slime, sky,
> ... textures if this work

Perlin textures might help you. Take a look at
http://freespace.{*word*269}.net/hugo.elias/models/m_perlin.htm (a very
simple but impressive way to generate textures, doing it fast needs some
tricks, but you can generate rather cool textures if you play around
with colors and effects) or download my XFader at
http://www.pegtop.de/xfader to see what is possible with Perlin (and
with some additional coding and ideas much more is possible).

Other methods include plasma effects or even simple drawing (lines with
starting and ending point calculated with some sine pattern etc.), but
instead of simply drawing these lines, use your own algoritm to combine
them with the gaphic in some way (multiplication, addition etc.). You
won't believe what is possible when playing around with the parameters
and colors.

A good base for textures are some formulas in a x/y-loop, too (like the
good old x xor y). The more textures you combine this way, the more
realistic it looks in most cases.

Jens

Other Threads