Board index » delphi » dbExpress and ODBC/ADO For SQL Server7

dbExpress and ODBC/ADO For SQL Server7

I have a SQL Server 7 database and Delphi 6 enterprise. I need some
suggestion for the database connection, dbExpress, ODBC, ADO, which one is a
better way. Personally I prefer the dbExpress, 'cause that's the simplest
way for the deployment, but it's too new for the market to prove.
any suggestions?

thanks

david

 

Re:dbExpress and ODBC/ADO For SQL Server7


David,

AFAIK, there are no dbExpress components available yet for MS SQL
Server, and you should avoid the BDE.  This leaves ADO (which I prefer,
and is the MS-recommended way to connect), or 3rd party components.

HTH,
Jim

Quote
"David Ting" <david_tin...@sina.com> wrote in message

news:3b78fb81_1@dnews...
Quote
> I have a SQL Server 7 database and Delphi 6 enterprise. I need some
> suggestion for the database connection, dbExpress, ODBC, ADO, which one is
a
> better way. Personally I prefer the dbExpress, 'cause that's the simplest
> way for the deployment, but it's too new for the market to prove.
> any suggestions?

> thanks

> david

Re:dbExpress and ODBC/ADO For SQL Server7


Yes Jim,
    I also noticed that after I posted the message, I only found the
mysql/oracle/db2 and interbase, so I think the only available way is the ado
and odbc now
but things confuse me is, delphi already has the interbase component, why
still include in the dbexpress, but leaves the sql server away

david

Quote
"Jim Elden" <x@yz> wrote in message news:3b791597_1@dnews...
> David,

> AFAIK, there are no dbExpress components available yet for MS SQL
> Server, and you should avoid the BDE.  This leaves ADO (which I prefer,
> and is the MS-recommended way to connect), or 3rd party components.

> HTH,
> Jim

> "David Ting" <david_tin...@sina.com> wrote in message
> news:3b78fb81_1@dnews...
> > I have a SQL Server 7 database and Delphi 6 enterprise. I need some
> > suggestion for the database connection, dbExpress, ODBC, ADO, which one
is
> a
> > better way. Personally I prefer the dbExpress, 'cause that's the
simplest
> > way for the deployment, but it's too new for the market to prove.
> > any suggestions?

> > thanks

> > david

Re:dbExpress and ODBC/ADO For SQL Server7


David,

Quote
>>leaves the sql server away

I wondered that myself.  Perhaps another reason to purchase
D6 Enterprise?

This looks good, but it is not free:

http://www.islamov.com/dbexpress/

Quote
>>delphi already has the interbase component, why
>> still include in the dbexpress

Yes, there is some overlap, but the way I understand it is that the
IBExpress component is optimized for Interbase, but the dbExpress
would give you more flexibility on choosing a different database.

HTH,
Jim

Other Threads